Anchoring a Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfulton

A close friend has purchased a 39' Rinker cruiser (new) and has lots of boating experience but limited big boat background and no Powell experience. My knowledge is in houseboats (75'). Could some of you weigh in on anchoring techniques, equipment recommendations, tricks and tips?? We will greatly appreciate the ideas, thoughts and recommendations. Chuck

Chuck. I'd be happy to provide your friend what works for me. When I have access to a keyboard (not cell phone) I'll respond in detail.

@cfulton, recently there was some pretty good discussion here, hopefully this will help your friend...

Our group for the past few decades have been anchoring 27 to 34 foot express cruisers bow out with single bow anchors and two stern lines at 30 to 45 degrees to sand spikes. Some with plow anchors, some with Danforth's. At least 10 feet of chain (39 Rinker likely has all chain rode) and 3 times rode length to water depth. Back down hard for good anchor set. We always found protected sandy beaches, our most frequented being Friendship, Dungeon and Oak canyons.

I have always done the same as Trix described. Anchor design does have a lot to do with it. I started with Danforth style years ago and got tired of trying to get it set and pull outs. Check out Rocna anchors!! I have been using a Rocna Vulcan for the last 6 years without a set on the first try or a pull out. I always use at least 20' of chain.
Another key note: Choose your anchorage wisely. It's nice to back into a narrow slot to be protected out of the wind, but always think about where your boat is going IF the bow or stern lines break free. A narrow slot doesn't give you any reaction time if something does give way. You will be on the rocks quickly. My ultimate anchorage is a straight beach or a small point within a protected cove. If something does let loose you have some time to react.
I also go through a drill with all on board in case a line does break loose in a big storm at night or any other time.

Example: Run through a scenario where a side wind breaks the bow anchor loose and the two shore anchor points are still holding.
The first thing I'm doing is saying a prayer under my breath as I take in slack from the bow rode that the anchor with catch!
My second priority is starting the engines and getting the bow into the wind. Every situation is different, but you may need to free yourself of the shore anchor lines to do this. Have a pair of cutters where everyone knows where they are so you can direct crew members to cut stern lines if necessary. Once free with engines running and pointed into the wind you can try to reset the anchor further from shore until the storm subsides.

On a related safety note. Always carry a drift sock or sea anchor in case you lose power in a section of the channel with no shore. You can at least get the sea anchor out and keep the bow into the wind and buy some time prior to hitting a wall or rocks.

I can also suggest running a spring line to the anchors off the stern from the mid cleats, this greatly reduces the amount the boat moves. In this photo I am expecting a blow and also have anchors off the forward cleats. Note that the OMC drives trailer above the bottom of the transom, most do not and you will be farther out from the shore.
A good way to get this way of anchoring done is to first drop someone on the beach with a anchor set to toss the line to the boat on the windward side after setting the bow anchor and backing toward the beach.
20150916_181145.jpg

I anchor bow out with a 31' cruiser. I use a Fortress FX-37 danforth style anchor with all chain rode. I always look for a beach that will allow my anchor to be set in a sandy bottom. I also put four anchors out on the beach, two on each side. So far I have not had a problem with this setup and have been in some decent storms. When I first find a beach I will pull all four of my beach anchors and ropes out, I tie one to each stern cleat so they are ready. Then will go and drop the bow anchor around where I think it should be set. I have painted my chain every 10' to kind of give me an idea how deep the anchor is, so if I am dropping the anchor in 20' of water i will let out about 30' then start backing towards the beach. My anchor setup usually sets pretty quick so I will continue backing toward the beach and letting more rode out is I need it. Once it catches I will keep both motors in reverse so the anchor digs in. Once I feel it has set I let out more rode and keep backing towards the beach and when I get close I shut the motors down and put the outdrives in the trailer position then jump of the back with one of the beach anchors or steaks. When i get all four beach anchors buried I will adjust all the lines and secure the the bow anchor rode.

From Chuck’s friend “Speedy”, thanks for the feedback on beaching a cruiser. Friends with cruisers on Lake Powell (40’ and 50’) beach bow first. I’d prefer stern first, so thanks for input and keep it coming. If end up beaching bow first because of conditions, any recommendations on keel protection products and whether Wahweap installs?

Unfortunately can’t. New cruiser being delivered directly from Rinker factory in Indiana to Wahweap Marina. Cranes offloading on to marina trailer. Then hopefully keel protection can be installed. Rinker doesn’t install keel protection.

Try calling Lake Powell Marine in Page. They have a license to work in the park. They may be able to help. I’ve found them to be helpful and willing to go above and beyond.

Greg coordinates houseboat service for them but should be able to help or get you to the right person. (928) 645-2592.

From Chuck’s friend “Speedy”, thanks for the feedback on beaching a cruiser. Friends with cruisers on Lake Powell (40’ and 50’) beach bow first. I’d prefer stern first, so thanks for input and keep it coming. If end up beaching bow first because of conditions, any recommendations on keel protection products and whether Wahweap installs?

I have found after 30 years of putting it on the beach, the fine sand does not harm the boat, I have heard that beaching on an old tire works, just make sure you take it home with you.FE5B696C-C5E8-4CA6-A48E-A303324E40CC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back