An article on Lake Mead water level and usage of interest to Colorado river water users

Status
Not open for further replies.
The writer reiterates the unproven theory that a one degree of warmimg in the past 70 years is responsible for a very short term (20 year) drought in the western US. Even the IPCC reports conclude there is no substantiated scientific or statistical link between global temperatures and regional droughts. Yes, there is more demand on a limited water source, but in the long term it may not be a dwindling resource. If we happen to have another big snow year, the conversation will change. Southwestern water shortages could be eliminated with one nuclear power plant dedicated to desalinization. Maybe my grand kids will see that solution.

The writer reiterates the unproven theory that a one degree of warmimg in the past 70 years is responsible for a very short term (20 year) drought in the western US. Even the IPCC reports conclude there is no substantiated scientific or statistical link between global temperatures and regional droughts. Yes, there is more demand on a limited water source, but in the long term it may not be a dwindling resource. If we happen to have another big snow year, the conversation will change. Southwestern water shortages could be eliminated with one nuclear power plant dedicated to desalinization. Maybe my grand kids will see that solution.
Right. The article says something like "climate change has placed the Colorado River basin in a long-term drought." I think the more accurate way to state that would have been "the long-term precipitation models for the southwestern USA associated with IPCC climate change predictions indicate declining snowpack and precipitation in general over the coming decades. The recent drought, which was most most acutely felt in 2000-04, and then again in 2012-13, may or may not be part of this larger projected trend, because the area is subject to wildly fluctuating changes in precipitation on an annual basis in the short-term."

Trix: I like your idea, my solution would be for California to stop taking any Colorado water since they can desal all their needs. All 4 states would share in the cost since this would be in everybody’s best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back