AGM trolling batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

capt-capsaicin

Anyone use AGM type batteries for trolling motor use? I am looking to replace my batteries and the boat shop told me to stay away from them. Seems like they have longer life so what's wrong with them?

Thanks,

Jason

They are great, but expensive
I have dekas,Hensleys in gj is dealer. do internet search . Them. What was boat shops reason?

I've been using them for over 20 years, first for the convenience of not having to check battery water levels, and second for the large reserve capacity. I use the group 31s and have 4 in my boat now. I'am on my second set on a 21' fishing boat that came with the standard lead acid type, which I replaced at 3 years. Mercury specs them for the big Verado engines, but I was using them for years before I got this boat. I need a lot of juice as I do mostly 3 day trips up the San Juan, and I can nurse three on a 36 volt troll motor to last for the complete trip. Down side is price, I use the Batteries Plus X2 31M, which has a free 4 year replacement and if you buy online and pick up at local store there's a 10% off coupon, which you'll need! I personally have had good luck with them and I have used Lifeline, Trojan and Sears Platinum Diehard brands. Ranger621

I've been using them for over 20 years, first for the convenience of not having to check battery water levels, and second for the large reserve capacity. I use the group 31s and have 4 in my boat now. I'am on my second set on a 21' fishing boat that came with the standard lead acid type, which I replaced at 3 years. Mercury specs them for the big Verado engines, but I was using them for years before I got this boat. I need a lot of juice as I do mostly 3 day trips up the San Juan, and I can nurse three on a 36 volt troll motor to last for the complete trip. Down side is price, I use the Batteries Plus X2 31M, which has a free 4 year replacement and if you buy online and pick up at local store there's a 10% off coupon, which you'll need! I personally have had good luck with them and I have used Lifeline, Trojan and Sears Platinum Diehard brands. Ranger621

Get a MinnKota MK-DC-3 (for the 36 V set up) and it will charge your 3 trolling motor batteries when your main engine is running. No switching wires or hooking up a generator to keep them topped off. I have used one (or 2) for years. They have a 3 year warranty and my first one lasted just over 3 years and Minkota didn't cover it by warranty, because it was out of warranty. They work so well I didn't have a problem buying another unit. Well worth the money. Sq

They are great, but expensive
I have dekas,Hensleys in gj is dealer. do internet search . Them. What was boat shops reason?
What was boat shops reason?
I am curious about that answer also. I get a deal on Trojan AGM "old stock" batteries on the front range and have been using them for 2 years so far on both of my boats for the trolling motors. Sq

Last edited:
Once I get up the San Juan, I only travel a max of 20 miles in three days, so I couldn't get much charge out of the short runs. I have taken a Honda generator to run my onboard charger and a friends cpap machine though, Ranger

I only run AGMs in my dump trailer rentals, and travel trailer rentals as well as my boat. They (AGM) seem to last longer when completely depleated over and over and charged back up. I'd be interested in hearing why your dealer suggested otherwise. To me they are worth the extra coin.

Get a MinnKota MK-DC-3 (for the 36 V set up) and it will charge your 3 trolling motor batteries when your main engine is running. No switching wires or hooking up a generator to keep them topped off. I have used one (or 2) for years. They have a 3 year warranty and my first one lasted just over 3 years and Minkota didn't cover it by warranty, because it was out of warranty. They work so well I didn't have a problem buying another unit. Well worth the money. Sq

I have two batteries on the boat and a switcher. Both batteries charge off the I/O mercruiser. I run a 12v Minn Kota Powerdrive so the inboard charger is just a basic unit. I guess my next piece of the puzzle is to see if the charger will work with AGM batteries.

I buy the blem 31 AGM at the PennState warehouse her in Phoenix. They usually have a pallet of them and are $100 each. They are the exact same battery as the BPS $260 ones per the man at Penn. They are a Deka battery. The only blem is that there is no lead post only the threaded post. The dealer was shooting a bunch of BS. That is the preferred battery for bass boat trolling motors.

if you have a single charger for both trolling and starting, all have to be AGM, don't mix lead/acid and AGM on your charger.

Reactions: TR.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back