accessing Wayneswords.net while travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke

Every time I am travelling abroad I can't access the website. the message says that the owner block the access.
is there a reason for this?

I am in Canada right now and have direct access to the website. But I guess that am on it could be because I have been on WW for a very long time and the computer recognizes me??? I am not sure why the access is not possible from other countries. Maybe Bart can answer this one?

Smoke, I can answer your question -- yes, there is a reason. But I don't know what it is. ;)
But seriously folks, interested in the issue. Doubt it will be a problem on our AK cruise coming up soon (particularly with Wayne's experience), but hoping to get my WW fix over morning coffee.

Smoke, I can answer your question -- yes, there is a reason. But I don't know what it is. ;)
But seriously folks, interested in the issue. Doubt it will be a problem on our AK cruise coming up soon (particularly with Wayne's experience), but hoping to get my WW fix over morning coffee.
Yes even in Canada with all the aquatic wildlife, bears, dolphins, and seals, I still think about Lake Powell and how to make it better. I heard it rained last week and that was very comforting. See you next week. WG

Yes, there are reasons, and @Todd nailed the primary one. Around the time Russia invaded Ukraine our daily hacker/spammer attacks increased exponentially. I don't believe that we're a specific target. I would guess that many U.S. sites are randomly under attack. Anyway, it was taking so much of my time to manage - and every attack originated outside of the U.S. - that I decided to block foreign traffic. I couldn't find any obvious legitimate traffic from foreign nations in our log files. And I'm not sure that our mission is to keep the whole world up-to-date on Lake Powell issues.

Sorry if it has impacted some of you while traveling. Knowing that Wayne was going to be in Canada for several weeks, I recently expanded the firewall to allow Canadian traffic. I think he's earned the privilege. :) If you have access to a U.S.-based VPN while traveling, you'll likely be able to connect.

Hope that solves the mystery!

P.S. We have not allowed new accounts to be created from outside of the U.S. for quite some time. When the EU passed their GDPR legislation which requires the personal data of residents of EU-member countries to be treated specifically and differently than other users on the same site, we decided it wasn't worth the trouble and disabled new account creation for non-U.S. residents. We're basically a hobby site with no legal representation and without the resources to chase the requirements of international law.

I was just in Costa Rica, and site access was denied when I was using anyone’s WiFi. But when I was just using data roaming, it worked fine…

But site access denial did force me to enjoy Costa Rica, which I did! And if there’s a place that has no shortage of rain, that’s it…

Yes, there are reasons, and @Todd nailed the primary one. Around the time Russia invaded Ukraine our daily hacker/spammer attacks increased exponentially. I don't believe that we're a specific target. I would guess that many U.S. sites are randomly under attack. Anyway, it was taking so much of my time to manage - and every attack originated outside of the U.S. - that I decided to block foreign traffic. I couldn't find any obvious legitimate traffic from foreign nations in our log files. And I'm not sure that our mission is to keep the whole world up-to-date on Lake Powell issues.

Sorry if it has impacted some of you while traveling. Knowing that Wayne was going to be in Canada for several weeks, I recently expanded the firewall to allow Canadian traffic. I think he's earned the privilege. :) If you have access to a U.S.-based VPN while traveling, you'll likely be able to connect.

P.S. We have not allowed new accounts to be created from outside of the U.S. for quite some time. When the EU passed their GDPR legislation which requires the personal data of residents of EU-member countries to be treated specifically and differently than other users on the same site, we decided it wasn't worth the trouble and disabled new account creation for non-U.S. residents. We're basically a hobby site with no legal representation and without the resources to chase the requirements of international law.
Thanks Bart for keeping everything running while I have been gone. You are much appreciated. I hope the war in Ukraine is over when I return and that the stock market will regain some energy as well. See you next week.

Thank you Bart, I now understand the reason. I will be sure to use my laptop next time and use VPN.

Who the hell is this 'Bob London'? He or she seems to get a mention in every other thread.
Bob London is/was a member of the forum who tended to post things that were divisive and seemed calculated to elicit an angry response. By his language he appears to be from England. The members of this forum have different opinions and viewpoints, and some of Bob's posts were quite informative. He (or somebody using the same exact style of language and postings) also posted as Bob Denver. This forum is more harmonious and useful for almost all members without his postings.

Bob London is/was a member of the forum who tended to post things that were divisive and seemed calculated to elicit an angry response. By his language he appears to be from England. The members of this forum have different opinions and viewpoints, and some of Bob's posts were quite informative. He (or somebody using the same exact style of language and postings) also posted as Bob Denver. This forum is more harmonious and useful for almost all members without his postings.
OK. Thanks for getting me up to speed. We don't need divisiveness on here. I come to WW to chill and hopefully learn more about the important issues concerning our Lake.

Would it be possible to enable the site in Canada. I live in Toronto, however I have enjoyed Lake Powell in the past. I find the threads and discussions interesting on the site. However unfortunately, i can now only access the site when in the USA or if Wayne is on vacation in Canada.

Would it be possible to enable the site in Canada. I live in Toronto, however I have enjoyed Lake Powell in the past. I find the threads and discussions interesting on the site. However unfortunately, i can now only access the site when in the USA or if Wayne is on vacation in Canada.

Unfortunately, there are a number of reasons our default stance needs to limit our service to the United States.

You might consider the TripAdvisor Lake Powell forum as an alternative -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back