access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue notch would be a great place to fish from a canoe. Lots of small coves and bays, and there are not the long sheer canyon walls that you find down lake.
If the wind starts getting bad you can get off the water almost anywhere

Farley and White canyon would be pretty restricted right now -- they are above the lake (possibly cut off from the lake by sand bars). Hite is nothing but a river and mud flats.

Blue Notch would certainly be the better option.

I'm going to pig-tail on this thread. We have never been to the north end of the lake, other than coming up from Bullfrog a few times. We are heading down Monday and Tuesday with the intent of checking out the canyons you have mentioned here first, by driving in on a side-by-side so check out the roads, how far from the water we would be and the possibility of driving in there with the boats and launching. We will be taking poles and plan on doing some bank fishing while we are there. My question, are the roads to Blue Notch and Farley's marked so we can find them? Can you drive in to White and Red canyons? If so, are they marked also. Thanks for the help in advance.

I'm going to pig-tail on this thread. We have never been to the north end of the lake, other than coming up from Bullfrog a few times. We are heading down Monday and Tuesday with the intent of checking out the canyons you have mentioned here first, by driving in on a side-by-side so check out the roads, how far from the water we would be and the possibility of driving in there with the boats and launching. We will be taking poles and plan on doing some bank fishing while we are there. My question, are the roads to Blue Notch and Farley's marked so we can find them? Can you drive in to White and Red canyons? If so, are they marked also. Thanks for the help in advance.

There is a good 3 page discussion of Blue Notch that you will find interesting. On page 2 Dungee posted some maps of the road that will help you understand the road and the journey. Does someone remember the milepost where the Blue Notch road turns off the highway just before arriving at the Hite turnoff?

There is a good 3 page discussion of Blue Notch that you will find interesting. On page 2 Dungee posted some maps of the road that will help you understand the road and the journey. Does someone remember the milepost where the Blue Notch road turns off the highway just before arriving at the Hite turnoff?

Blue Notch/Red Canyon road is not marked. If you're coming from the south/east it is 11 miles west of Fry Canyon store on HWY 95. Depending on the water level you might find a place to launch a boat. I won't take a trailer in there again. Once was enough for me. Good Luck.

We were up north last week so we cruised thru Blue Notch. We used to have a 14ft Lund that we launched from there for years and I believe if I were to walk the shore there might be somewhere a boat like that could be launched. Anything smaller or hand launched, no problem, but I don't have a clue about the road. I believe there were earlier posts highlighting the likely problem areas and they are mostly climbing up the notch.

Thanks for all the help. I will report on the road when we get back. Hopefully we can find a few fish willing to play from the shore too

At the current lake level red canyon is more like red notch, blue notch is above water with steep cliffs down to water level at main channel you will need a float tube and carabiners to ropell down to water level. The road is treacherous even for a side by side take provisions for spending the night you can become stranded easily with out any kind of communication,plan accordingly

When I was at Farley’s last early May I’m thinking the lake level was 3621’! Can I expect it to be that level or higher this year the first week in May? I’m new to Lake Powell so thanks for any comments!

When I was at Farley’s last early May I’m thinking the lake level was 3621’! Can I expect it to be that level or higher this year the first week in May? I’m new to Lake Powell so thanks for any comments!
it will be at least 40' below that level ----- currently we are at 3571 -- probably not much change to that level between now and April 15 -- then it will start to go up-- but by early may I would not guess more than 5 to 10 feet, so would put water at 3580 ---- still 40+ feet below 3621

At 3600' the end of the Lake is at the end of the Farley Road(past the big rock). We may reach that level in July if we continue to have good moisture this spring, but will certainly not reach that level by mid April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back