A whole new flavor of stupid (mussels)

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthecreek

This was on Colorado Parks and Wildlife Facebook page. Should have been in all the local news papers at least.

On April 18, 2017, our Aquatic Nuisance Species Staff found an abandoned houseboat completely infested with invasive quagga mussels on the side of Highway 160 in SW Colorado. Turns out the trailer broke when being hauled from Lake Powell to Navajo State Park and was left on the side of the road. It is illegal to transport an infested boat across state lines and to possess aquatic nuisance species in Colorado. After two days, the boat was transported and is now in the possession of CPW law enforcement personnel at Navajo State Park. The boat is being held in quarantine. This is a tremendous catch and we are very grateful to those that made this discovery!
18033559_1416519298410892_1312997234396905752_n.jpg

18034254_1416519301744225_4875739664199270871_n.jpg

Last edited:
This is the story as reported in the Cortez Journal.

A trailered houseboat encrusted with invasive mussels was discovered by Colorado Parks and Wildlife on the shoulder of U.S. Highway 160 at Mancos Hill Tuesday.

The boat, which was on a blocked-up damaged trailer, came from the Lake Powell and was heading to Navajo Lake, reported Joe Lewandowski, spokesman for Parks and Wildlife.

Related Stories
Fear of invasive mussel spreads to two Cortez-area reservoirs
Montezuma irrigation company eases Narraguinnep boating ban
Locals discuss mussels, boating regulations in Cortez
“It was put on a hold, and will be hauled to Navajo Lake, where it will be decontaminated at the boat inspection station there,” he said.

The boat will be kept isolated and out of the water for six to eight weeks, and Navajo State Park officials expect the decontamination procedures to take more than 80 hours.

Lake Powell is contaminated with the invasive mussel species, which cause damage to irrigation and municipal systems.

A Parks and Wildlife boat-inspection technician happened across the 45-foot houseboat while driving along U.S. 160, east of Mancos. He took a closer look and discovered the boat from Arizona was contaminated with adult mussels.

So, is this decontamination something that Colorado will charge for? Colorado's current program does not charge for decontamination, but I don't think it was designed to deal with that.

Either way, 80 hours to do the decontamination seems way long. Especially after a 6 - 8 quarantine.

reasons like this are why every lake will be infested eventually, there is no stopping it .

they got that one , but there will be others that get through . Just like Powell

reasons like this are why every lake will be infested eventually, there is no stopping it .

they got that one , but there will be others that get through . Just like Powell
Nature is extremely pervasive, and humans are inherently selfish. Between the two, I suspect you're exactly right and that it's only a matter of time.

I don't think think this is a whole new flavor of stupid, just another example of it.
A boat this size can't have been pulled by a private party, so I'd like to know what the repercussions are for the person who contracted moving the boat, as well as the company who transported it.
Both are culpable.

Except most states have much more rigorous inspection protocols than Lake Powell had, at the border or at the lakes before launching.

We all have to hold our selves accountable, clean , drain and dry. if I have to leave my boat sit in the garage for 3 weekenders before launching in another body of water that I enjoy than that 's what I will do to prevent this from evading another water way that I enjoy.

But----- It's just too bad we can't hold our saviors to the same standards as they hold us !!!!!!

We all have to hold our selves accountable, clean , drain and dry. if I have to leave my boat sit in the garage for 3 weekenders before launching in another body of water that I enjoy than that 's what I will do to prevent this from evading another water way that I enjoy.
If despite of a decontamination you still need to let the boat sit for 3 weeks before entering another body of water, I really think this is a lost cause. Summer is short. And I would venture that most people will not have that level of dedication. :(

That's exactly the point that I am trying to make. We all need to make our selves accountable, pointing the finger at the government or the wake border is not going to solve the problem. we all have to hold our selves accountable and do what needs to be done. I don't like the thought of leaving my boat sit that long, but if that's what it takes then I am willing to do it to keep from spreading the problem any further. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!÷÷

If despite of a decontamination you still need to let the boat sit for 3 weeks before entering another body of water, I really think this is a lost cause. Summer is short. And I would venture that most people will not have that level of dedication. :(
I keep seeing this number of 3 to 4 weeks thrown around....is this a Utah law? Just looking for the reference if I have missed it.

For those of us here in the southern part of the lake, this is what I found. https://www.azgfd.com/fishing/invasivespecies/

Decontaminate and desiccate – Watercraft owners/ transporters are responsible for having their boats and equipment decontaminated after removal from waterbody and prior to transport. Before launching to another waterbody or transporting to another state, you must also desiccate you boat and equipment for 18 consecutive days from November through April or 7 consecutive days from May through October. For more detailed cleaning protocols, see Director’s Order #3.

This is the mandate if you are on the water for 6 or more consecutive days.

That's exactly the point that I am trying to make. We all need to make our selves accountable, pointing the finger at the government or the wake border is not going to solve the problem. we all have to hold our selves accountable and do what needs to be done. I don't like the thought of leaving my boat sit that long, but if that's what it takes then I am willing to do it to keep from spreading the problem any further. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!÷÷
The problem is not making "ourselves" accountable, it is making "everyone" accountable. You just can't legislate that. You can educate, legislate, and irritate all you want, but there will still be that one person who just doesn't care or care enough. It's a failing in the human species from the time of Adam(it's called Sin), until you cure that ailment your going to continue to find yourself disappointed by the human species.

WEll said
The problem is not making "ourselves" accountable, it is making "everyone" accountable. You just can't legislate that. You can educate, legislate, and irritate all you want, but there will still be that one person who just doesn't care or care enough. It's a failing in the human species from the time of Adam(it's called Sin), until you cure that ailment your going to continue to find yourself disappointed by the human species.

I keep seeing this number of 3 to 4 weeks thrown around....is this a Utah law? Just looking for the reference if I have missed it.

For those of us here in the southern part of the lake, this is what I found. https://www.azgfd.com/fishing/invasivespecies/

Decontaminate and desiccate – Watercraft owners/ transporters are responsible for having their boats and equipment decontaminated after removal from waterbody and prior to transport. Before launching to another waterbody or transporting to another state, you must also desiccate you boat and equipment for 18 consecutive days from November through April or 7 consecutive days from May through October. For more detailed cleaning protocols, see Director’s Order #3.

This is the mandate if you are on the water for 6 or more consecutive days.

I don't know what Utah's rule is. But I had my Malibu decontaminated today. I told them that I went to Powell, and they filled my tanks with water up to 120*, ran my engine, washed down my boat and trailer, and I have a seal that will allow me to launch anywhere in Colorado.

So Colorado does not treat it as a decontamination AND quarantine thing. And Colorado does pretty well have their act together on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back