8/18 & 8/19 - South Lake: This Saturday Evening & Sunday Morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS MCBETH

I've asked Wayne, but knowing he just had surgery he may not be monitoring this stuff... then again that might be the only thing keeping him sane!

In any case, I figured i'd throw it out to the Wayne's Words crew and see if anyone has some insight.

Due to tight work schedules, we're cruising up from Phoenix early Saturday, and going home Sunday afternoon.

So we're limited to fishing Saturday evening, and Sunday morning.

Here are my questions to the team:
  1. Based on your experience and our limited time, would you recommend launching from Wahweap or Antelope?
    1. I prefer Antelope if we're going up Navajo, but if we're going up lake, Wahweap is more convenient since you don't have to shuttle between the Marina and the Launch ramp at night when we leave it in a courtesy dock for Sunday morning (My wife doesn't launch or drive the truck so I do it solo)
  2. Where and how would you recommend fishing Saturday evening?
    1. I was thinking we'd race to the back of Navajo and either look for some boils, or just troll around with the crank baits (and maybe throw some anchovies in along the two walls in Navajo after the double islands) BUT I don't know if Antelope is productive at the present time/temp
  3. Where and how would you recommend fishing Sunday morning?
    1. I was thinking we'd head up to Last Chance around 4am and fish the shoreline rocks for Smallies with the surface lures (Luckcraft Sammy's) until after the sun comes up
    2. Then once the sun is up, transition to Anchovies around the east "wall" in Padre
What do you think?

Sounds like a good plan....

A friend fished Navajo 5 days ago and did pretty well on SMB and caught a few Striper. I think their total fish count for 1.5 days was in the mid 60s. They almost exclusively use plastic single tail jigs on 1/4 lead heads, so not sure how the bait action is. I fished the last 10 days of June almost exclusively in Padre. There was an amazing amount of stripers at that time on the east wall in Padre, so that soundsl like a particularly good plan as well. Would not be suprised if you ran into some early morning boils in that area as well. You might also consider some deep jigging or drop_shot fishing the shady sides of both Padre and Gregory on your trip to or back from Last Chance.

I wouldn't worry about the shuttle down to the dock at Antelope Marina at 4am. Probably have a cart up top just waiting for you ....

have a great time... doug

I've asked Wayne, but knowing he just had surgery he may not be monitoring this stuff... then again that might be the only thing keeping him sane!

In any case, I figured i'd throw it out to the Wayne's Words crew and see if anyone has some insight.

Due to tight work schedules, we're cruising up from Phoenix early Saturday, and going home Sunday afternoon.

So we're limited to fishing Saturday evening, and Sunday morning.

Here are my questions to the team:
  1. Based on your experience and our limited time, would you recommend launching from Wahweap or Antelope?
    1. I prefer Antelope if we're going up Navajo, but if we're going up lake, Wahweap is more convenient since you don't have to shuttle between the Marina and the Launch ramp at night when we leave it in a courtesy dock for Sunday morning (My wife doesn't launch or drive the truck so I do it solo)
  2. Where and how would you recommend fishing Saturday evening?
    1. I was thinking we'd race to the back of Navajo and either look for some boils, or just troll around with the crank baits (and maybe throw some anchovies in along the two walls in Navajo after the double islands) BUT I don't know if Antelope is productive at the present time/temp
  3. Where and how would you recommend fishing Sunday morning?
    1. I was thinking we'd head up to Last Chance around 4am and fish the shoreline rocks for Smallies with the surface lures (Luckcraft Sammy's) until after the sun comes up
    2. Then once the sun is up, transition to Anchovies around the east "wall" in Padre
What do you think?

Let us know how you do were heading up next Thursday

Hi Chris. Please post how it goes. I am heading up the following weekend to fish three days out of Wahweap/Stateline. Earlier this year we had good success with SMB in the Gregory Butte panorama. Mouth of West Canyon, Face Canyon, Lower Last Chance. Stripers were hard to find. One group we were near caught Crappies in the north end of Last Chance but we caught nothing while in the same canyon. They were trolling rather fast.

Hi Chris. Please post how it goes. I am heading up the following weekend to fish three days out of Wahweap/Stateline. Earlier this year we had good success with SMB in the Gregory Butte panorama. Mouth of West Canyon, Face Canyon, Lower Last Chance. Stripers were hard to find. One group we were near caught Crappies in the north end of Last Chance but we caught nothing while in the same canyon. They were trolling rather fast.

When you heading up trex

Shouldn't this thread be on the Fishing Board? I thought Angler's Corner was for post of actual fishing results. Chuck

Shouldn't this thread be on the Fishing Board? I thought Angler's Corner was for post of actual fishing results. Chuck

When I post our report, I'll put it here under Angler's Corner.

As for this thread being in the wrong place... I guess I hadn't thought about it that way (Angler's Corner only for results, not for discussion?)

I'll keep that in mind moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back