6/24-6/27 HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunaitch

couldn’t take the heat anymore and our kids are now crispy....thanks to everyone on this board for tips and fishing tricks, much appreciated! Now on to what you want to hear, fish report!

Fish night at gunsight showed very nice catfish using anchovies., with a few mixed stripers and smallmouth.
Second day we went to last chance and fished some coves for a slow smallmouth bite. We tried everything....Ned rigs, trolled using bombers and ratltraps. Finally got sick of the heat and ended up at a very large wall. Caught numerous small mouth, then all of the sudden the stripers started to boil around our boat, caught a few before they left us.
Third day- success!! We fished last chance again, stuck to the first large wall on left side (tried to escape heat). We caught 20+ smallmouth, a walleye, and bunch of stripers. The stripers stuck to a small cove and were relentless, all caught on fly lined anchovies. We left them biting as sun was slowly going down. We started to make our way back to camp when we found 3-4 schools of stripers slurping right as we entered padre bay ( large island). We slayed a bunch more here, it was so exciting!,!,! Love the feel of the stripers hitting our rattletraps!

Packed up on 4th day and headed home...the heat was just as hot as the striper action! Pics to come....tired, burnt, and dehydrated....

Btw-there were tons of these annoying nymph looking bugs only thing that kept them away was a a huge fire around our camp (smoke). Or when the winds were blowing....bring bug spray!,!

We found about ten of these nasty looking tapeworms? in our icechest when we returned home...they were on the stripers. This is probably why we caught a few that were so skinny....I thought they were skinny from already spawning.

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 179
We found about ten of these nasty looking tapeworms? in our icechest when we returned home...they were on the stripers. This is probably why we caught a few that were so skinny....I thought they were skinny from already spawning.

Did you take a picture of the tapeworms. It is unusual for stripers to have any parasite but common for bass and catfish. What did the parasites look like? Can you find a picture on line?

Yes....they were over 1 foot long. Wayne that’s the only pic I got of the worms....

Wow!! I did not even think that long thing in the picture was the microscopic worm I was thinking about. We are going to collect 60 stripers next Tuesday and inspect them for disease and parasites. Sounds like our scheduled test is very timely. I will let you know what we find.

Was there any chance that bass were in the cooler and these tapeworms came out of them or were stripers the only host there?

There were smallmouth bass in the cooler but they were plenty healthy/fat. The stripers were thin/sickly, we did notice one of these worms were partially stuck on gills of the stripers..

I will say we cut open the stripers and did not find any worms inside, but they could have already left their host....

Wow!! I did not even think that long thing in the picture was the microscopic worm I was thinking about. We are going to collect 60 stripers next Tuesday and inspect them for disease and parasites. Sounds like our scheduled test is very timely. I will let you know what we find.

Was there any chance that bass were in the cooler and these tapeworms came out of them or were stripers the only host there?

Wayne, I would like to add that I saw very similar worms on my stripers from red canyon on my spring trip. A couple were hanging off the stripers, coming out the gills, that were on stringers. Only stripers were caught and kept. I thought I was just imagining it and didnt really think much about it until now.

That worm is disturbing.... Wayne, I also forgot to mention in my earlier report that I noticed a bunch of algae around the mussels under the water. You know, the kind of algae you find in ponds--green and stringy. I've never seen algae like that in Powell before. We observed massive clumps of it clinging to rocks. Usually when you find algae like that, you find snails. And sure enough, I found several of those small snails referenced earlier by Pegasus from the bottom of the paddle board. Seems like an ecosystem shift since the mussels have been introduced? I sure hope those nasty things aren't tapeworms. I don't want to be swimming with those things....

Tiff

Back to the heat issue. We normally go to Powell for our week in early May or October and the weather is normally 5 to15 degrees cooler than June and the rest of the summer. 2 years ago we went in June to fish, not swim, water ski or jet ski type of recreation.
It was 98 to 100 degrees, heavy runoff debris , fishing much slower than May. First time we left before our week was done.

Probably a bad idea to use raw stripers in ceviche..? Or will the lime juice kill any parasites ?
Maybe just grill it first..

I was in an area where I was catching small mouth bass with white worms (as many as 10 on each fish - and the worms were up to an inch long) that would shake off into the water in front of me when I brought the bass to the surface. It was disgusting.

I have never seen the worms. I have noticed a couple of posts about them lately. What are they and why are we hearing about them now??

Looks like we have 2 types of worms being reported. One is the very long tapeworm pictured in this thread. The others should be external parasites normally found on bass and catfish. We will test stripers tomorrow and see if we can find either of these worms/parasites on the 60 fish we sample. It sounds like this is a local problem found in limited areas but it would be very annoying to catch a fish with any worms attached.

I was up in good hope in early june fishing and jumped in to cool off. Saw thousands of these tiny little white worm looking things swimming near the surface. They were very small but abundant

Wayne,
We were fishing the Dove / West Canyon area last Saturday (7/7/18) and my wife caught a SM with a 8 to 10" long tapeworm hanging out of it's gills. We didn't get any pics from it because she immediately shook it off the hook, as she didn't want to have it in the boat.
Are these becoming more and more prevalent in the lake? Were you able to get your test results back yet on the samples you have pulled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back