5.24 Snow Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Helzer

Is it safe to assume yesterday's snow pack data is a glitch? I know we are still getting snow, and I know the % based on date total can fluctuate easily this time of year, but the snow pack % based on the 4/15 average jumped from about 46% to almost 67%. If the figures would be true it would mean we still have 2/3rds of an average run off left. Any thoughts?

Randy, I don't know about the specific data you are referencing, but my casual observation over the past couple of decades is that the snow pack percentages this late in spring are very sensitive to late snowfalls. Normal for many snotel stations is near zero, so even a small accumulation is a big percentage. Percepitation totals are a better indicator of runoff at this time. Just my 2 cents, and probably not worth that much.

Just got back from the Park City area today and WOW \, there is still a lot of snow on the Mountains. I know that is not our drainage but if there is that much snow left in the Colorado drainage it will be a sweeter water year than it already is.Please Please Please and a little prayer.

Looking at yesterday's snow data, we have right a third of a normal years snow pack left (based on the 4/15 equivalent). This time last year there was practically no snow pack left. We are currently 15' higher than last year at this time and will likely exceed last years peak within a few days. It would seem we should go up at least another 15 to 20'. 3640 seems like a fairly safe bet at this point. I'm hoping for 3650!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back