4 days and almost nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick5207

Escalante-Class Member
I've gone to all my usual haunts to catch fish and I'm almost embarrassed to say the numbers. 2 stripers and 5 catfish. That's it. It must be something I'm doing or not doing.
I've fished the dam,
Antelope, Navajo, near the no wake zone at the main channel and near Lone Rock.
I've trolled, I've fished a lot with chovies to no avail.
Any tips?

Last edited:
Go early and maybe further uplake. Fished Last Chance today and caught a lot of small mouth and stripers but the bite slowed down by mid morning and got really slow after 11.

Caught them on top water until the sun was on the water, then cranks, spoons, and plastics. Trolling and casting to the shore.

I am striking out. I've been here 8 days, I've caught 1 striper, 5 catfish, 1 3 inch crappie and 6 small mouth that were all smaller that my thumb.
I have never experienced fishing consistently this bad in the 3 years fishing Lake Powell.
I've fished the mouth of Navajo this morning for 4 hours. Nothing except 2 catfish.
I'm at a loss. I've looked for striper in deep water and shallow. I just can't find them.
Any help would be appreciated.

I've gone to all my usual haunts to catch fish and I'm almost embarrassed to say the numbers. 2 stripers and 5 catfish. That's it. It must be something I'm doing or not doing.
I've fished the dam,
Antelope, Navajo, near the no wake zone at the main channel and near Lone Rock.
I've trolled, I've fished a lot with chovies to no avail.
Any tips?
It seems the quick answer is for you to try further uplake. There are many more reports of great fishing success upstream from Padre Bay. I know its a long way and expensive to go that far but that seems to be the answer to your question.

I am striking out. I've been here 8 days, I've caught 1 striper, 5 catfish, 1 3 inch crappie and 6 small mouth that were all smaller that my thumb.
I have never experienced fishing consistently this bad in the 3 years fishing Lake Powell.
I've fished the mouth of Navajo this morning for 4 hours. Nothing except 2 catfish.
I'm at a loss. I've looked for striper in deep water and shallow. I just can't find them.
Any help would be appreciated.
It was tough for us as well. Don't feel too bad. Sometimes it's consistently the wrong place at the wrong time. I just read the reports of big boils in areas I was watching with zero activity when I was there.

It seems the quick answer is for you to try further uplake. There are many more reports of great fishing success upstream from Padre Bay. I know its a long way and expensive to go that far but that seems to be the answer to your question.
I agree but unfortunately I'm in a new to me boat and the charging system isn't working so I'm limiting the distance of my trips to how far my gas trolly can take me.

It was tough for us as well. Don't feel too bad. Sometimes it's consistently the wrong place at the wrong time. I just read the reports of big boils in areas I was watching with zero activity when I was there.
I don't feel bad at all. Just being out on the lake makes me happy. Fish or no fish. I've just never been skunked consistently on this lake. I've had an off day a few times but never like this.
All is well in the universe.

Now that you mention it, this year I haven’t seen anyone hanging out along that wall by the dam opposite of the Chains. For years, that spot used to be almost guaranteed stripers with anchovies for bait. Weird.
I check the dam every day. Nothing...., But, I got into them this afternoon. Boils all over Wahweap bay. The cooler weather and rain this morning must have turned them on.
Today made up for the last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back