1960's post cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting this Sealegs! I love the old pictures of Lake Powell. You can see all the way to Lone Rock in the photo!

Q: in the first photo of the lake, there is a small island out past the marina. On the second photo of the lake, is the island shown the same island, just at a lower water level? I think so.

Thank you for posting this Sealegs! I love the old pictures of Lake Powell. You can see all the way to Lone Rock in the photo!

Q: in the first photo of the lake, there is a small island out past the marina. On the second photo of the lake, is the island shown the same island, just at a lower water level? I think so.

Unfortunately the cards are not dated but you can see in the second lake photo there is only one dock extending to the south.

Love the $9-15 Motel rates and 3% sales tax, that won’t buy you dinner and a cocktail anymore.

Was that Motel out on 89 across the street from the North Wahweap Entrance?

I think I see the breakwater for the rental dock or maybe it is a boat wake towards Lone Rock. I moved to Page in 1996 and the Motel was still standing on 89 across from the North entrance to Wahweap. Unless there were two motels but it looked just like the one in the picture.

i

I think I see the breakwater for the rental dock or maybe it is a boat wake towards Lone Rock. I moved to Page in 1996 and the Motel was still standing on 89 across from the North entrance to Wahweap. Unless there were two motels but it looked just like the one in the picture.

I thought the view didn't look right being that close to the Lake. Thanks birdsnest.

No worries! I really love all this local trivia.

Being a relative “late-comer” to Powell (started coming in the ‘80’s) I always wondered what that old motel out on 89 looked like. It was just abandoned, crumbling ruins when I first started coming.
That motel on highway 89 was open at some point in the early 90's as I personally stayed there over a Memorial Day weekend, and it was packed full, no vacancy. I don't recall the exact year, but I'm pretty sure it was between 1993 and 1996.

That motel on highway 89 was open at some point in the early 90's as I personally stayed there over a Memorial Day weekend, and it was packed full, no vacancy. I don't recall the exact year, but I'm pretty sure it was between 1993 and 1996.

I've been visiting LP since the early 70s (10 or 11 years old). For some reason I don't remember seeing that motel. I was probably focused on one thing.....get on the lake so I can go fishing!!!

Yep, when I first started coming to LP I was staying in Page using the South Wahweap entrance. Never noticed the motel out at the North Wahweap entrance.

By the time I got out to Lone Rock for some beach camping in the 90’s it was long gone.

Greenehaven has some land zoned across from the 76 station for hotel but no bites yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back