15-25 mph winds with gusts to 40...

Status
Not open for further replies.
General rule is mornings are calm - winds pick up later in the day.

There are lots of side canyons and corners to take shelter.

I would not want to get caught in one of the big bays (Wahweap, Padre, Warm Creek, Bullfrog, Good Hope Bay) in a SUSTAINED 40 mph wind. A sustained 30 wouldn’t be good either.

most boats ar not made to submarine, 30-40 in any bay is asking for it. If one thing has stuck into my thick skull, 10 years on the lake taught me respect for her. It's all fun and games when you just stick your nose out to see how bad it is but a whole nother ball game when you are caught in it with a destination. Scary stuff that sometimes ends badly. What PowellBride said is the real deal.

We got caught in the freak storm that broke loose the Halls bouy field this summer, I was so glad to be in the tri-toon and large outboard and don't want to relive that any time soon, I swear the swells had to be over 4 foot high and we got to our hb and it was sandwiched between 2 other hb's so we hid behind the hb's in the slips, very scary. Talked to a bass boat operator the next day at the Halls boat ramp and he had came down from moki and said he was literally swimming in his boat from the waves crashing over the bow.

Wife and I were coming in from our camping trip on our pontoon and got caught in Bullfrog Bay when the storm hit. Our back railing on the boat is about 36" from the floor and the waves were coming over the top of that.

Best suggestion, when the wind and storms start up, find a hole to hide out in and hope the fishing is good there. Be ready to have sand in everything also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back