10/17-10/21 SJ Trip Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grypes44

Hey everyone, short time lurker but lifelong fisherman and lover of Lake Powell. Headed to the Juan with 2 boats and 5 gents including my pops who's flying in from Indiana (can't believe it!). Pretty much responsible for everyone catching fish (all out-of-towners). Headed to the Juan from Wahweap strictly for the fishing (fingers crossed it'll be good to us in this off year with so much bait).

My questions to you guys is...if you were headed out later this week, what technique would you be using in these conditions for targeting SM? I figured green pumpkin or similar natural colors dropshotted in 15-20 of rocky shoreline should be a good approach but please let me know.

Similar Question for Stripers? I figured topwater in the morning if we can find surface activity and casting/dropping/trolling spoons otherwise. We'll have electronics so we should be able to find them it's getting them to bite now that seems to be the trouble. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Evan

I was up the San Juan 2 weeks ago . We had pretty good luck just fishing any small cut or canyon going up the San Juan. Keep your eyes on the water especially close to the shore for shad activity. We always caught fish around shad . Caught most the fish oh tube lures , Fat Gitzit in green sparkle or a close color . Caught a few on Poppers high was a blast. Hopefully the fish will turn on with th cooling temps. Good Luck and Fish On!!

My preference in the San Juan is the big bay that has Piute Creek and Neskahi. It's the last bay before the channel to the Great Bend starts. From there you can fish Cha, Wilson Creek and the channel upriver. For the past several Octobers I have camped up there and fished the 30'-15' water in the channel below the inflow of the San Juan river. I usually troll one mono and one leaded line. They catch equally and the fish are usually strong and aggressive. Lost three outfits last year on "big" fish. There is always a boil or two to spice thing up! Crappie too. I'm not much of a smb fisherman so I specialize in stripers. I usually find stripers in Piute and the next bay upstream from there to jig or troll. A few years back got into a 10 acre boil that lasted more than an hour in Cha. The SJ is my favorite though this year's reports have not been the best. Chuck

When I was there last Tuesday we struck out in the normal places around Piute and Neskahi. Then we went into the mouth of the Great Bend and noticed a few single splashes. We trolled and cast to these open water fish looking for a stripers or boil. Surprisingly these open water fish were smallmouth bass. Bass are acting like stripers in open water. Mouth of the Great Bend was best for us. We caught no fish up as far as Alcove Canyon mouth. I hope for all of us that the dropping water temperature will cause an increase in sport fish activity.

"We had very good luck two weeks ago with strike king coffee tube jigs at about 14 ft. Nice fat smallies. Fishing was slow and kinda tough but I had really good luck on those. Have fun."

TR, I didn't think you could fish a tube on a fly rod? ;)
I didn't know you could/would use anything else!
Bryant

"We had very good luck two weeks ago with strike king coffee tube jigs at about 14 ft. Nice fat smallies. Fishing was slow and kinda tough but I had really good luck on those. Have fun."

TR, I didn't think you could fish a tube on a fly rod? ;)
I didn't know you could/would use anything else!
Bryant
That’s good Bryant! Hope you are well! We were on the same Powell schedule for a number of years and the last few I haven’t seen you at all. Got a little bored and tried something new and is sure is fun. Someone has to work with squirrel lol.

Love the rooster.

TR

That’s good Bryant! Hope you are well! We were on the same Powell schedule for a number of years and the last few I haven’t seen you at all. Got a little bored and tried something new and is sure is fun. Someone has to work with squirrel lol.

Love the rooster.

TR

In recent years since really picking up fly fishing it’s a lot of fun to switch back and forth between that and conventional. Both have their advantages and both are a blast.

Just got back, thank you all for the great advice!

We had a great time fishing for smallies in the big bay with Neskahi and Piute wash; as well as, the Great Bend area. They fought hard and everybody caught a bunch of fish. Once again really appreciate the great advice; Spainy, Cfulton, Wayne, TR and the rest. Caught 30 Catfish as well but we had no luck trolling for stripers and we saw no boils the 4 days we were there but another great trip in the books!

Evan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back