Would this be legal at Lake Powell?

BartsPlace

Staff member
Apparently it is manufactured by Destination Yachts - a pretty reputable houseboat manufacturer. However, there are a number of red flags for me. I especially wouldn't feel comfortable letting anyone walk/play on the deck while in motion due to the possibility of contact with the spinning tires. Having to stay in the RV would be a severely limiting experience for me. That's not to say you couldn't develop something to make it safer. I guess overall, it feels like they stopped a little too early in the design process. With some work, it could become more attractive to potential buyers. :)

I kinda like it. As far as the spinning wheels, a removable guard would be no problem to have installed. The motor home in the video was anchored with coma-longs in the front, I would use a chain hoist instead of coma-longs and anchor the motor home in the rear as well. As far as wakes, "tour boat', I would just shut down and if the wake did come over the deck it would just wash through. With the Toon being 18' X 60' I would have no problem operating it at Lake Powell. But that's me.

Last edited:

Bill Sampson

Many years ago they tried a similar thing on Lake Havasu where you could pull your RV or truck and camper on a platform. The only difference was that it was outboard powered. They appeared to be a good thing for a while, but eventually disappeared.

Powelldreamer

Many years ago they tried a similar thing on Lake Havasu where you could pull your RV or truck and camper on a platform. The only difference was that it was outboard powered. They appeared to be a good thing for a while, but eventually disappeared.
I remember those. They had them t Lake Mojave for a bit as well.