Whose gonna reach 7,000,000 acre feet first, Powell or Mead

SDuncan

Good question. Mead has further to go, and Powell is changing faster. Comes down to how long the runoff lasts.

I'm going with Mead. The snow is all but gone, so Powell will stop rising in a few weeks, but Mead will continue to plummet.

DirtSailor71

I agree, a couple of days ago they revised Lake Mead's September 2023 forecast even lower than they predicted a month ago. I can't find the article at the moment, but one will only need to drive about 10ft to hit the tail of the B-29. So it looks like Lake Powell will be the largest reservoir in the US soon.

Colorado Expat

I agree, a couple of days ago they revised Lake Mead's September 2023 forecast even lower than they predicted a month ago. I can't find the article at the moment, but one will only need to drive about 10ft to hit the tail of the B-29. So it looks like Lake Powell will be the largest reservoir in the US soon.
But according to the June BOR 24-month study, Lake Powell is also projected to drop by over 30 feet by 2023, so it is not clear if it will eventually surpass Lake Mead in size (area or volume) or not. The bottom line is that both reservoirs are still in trouble.

Gunny

But according to the June BOR 24-month study, Lake Powell is also projected to drop by over 30 feet by 2023, so it is not clear if it will eventually surpass Lake Mead in size (area or volume) or not. The bottom line is that both reservoirs are still in trouble.
It's not a good look. My guess was also Mead when I posted this. Bottom bottom line, launch while you can!!!!!!

Last edited:

Hallett3737

Please review report from last week👀

Attachments

• Feds Will Cut States' Access to Colorado River Water _ The Pew Charitable Trusts (1).pdf
    286.6 KB · Views: 40

drewsxmi

Escalante-Class Member
Over on the Missouri River, Lake Sakakawea behind Garrison Dam is at 16,266,000 of its multipurpose capacity of 17,744,640 af, Lake Oahe is at 15,800,000 of its multipurpose capacity of 18,667,635 af, and Fort Peck is at 12,404,000 of its multipurpose capacity of 14,788,340 af. (Flood control capacities are 23,451,300 af (Garrison/Sakakawea), 22,982,900 af (Oahe), and 18,482,840 af (Fort Peck).

Lake Mead and Lake Powell are now in the range between Kentucky Lake and Roosevelt Lake (Grand Coulee Dam) when the former lakes are full.

My money is on Lake Mead to to hit 7 maf first. The USBoR seems to be heading in the direction of retaining power generation capability over delivering water to downstream users, but will have to restrict power generation flows to maintain that capability.

Gunny

Fished Land Between the Lakes as a kid. Amazing fishery. We fished Kentucky Lake not Barkley. Those numbers are just scary.