Where to Go? South or North?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfry

Heading to Bullfrog on the 19-21 and want to get out and play and fish. Looking for suggestions on whether we go North or South. Would like to get into some slurps and other fishing but also want to swim in debris free water. I wonder how muddy it is up North with the increased runoff.

Dungee Fishing

Just watched a video from guys who were up in the bottom of GHB and the water looked pretty green/better than I was thinking. With the higher water elevation the silt has more water to dissipate? They were also catching a lot of stripers in about 30 feet of water. It also sounds like others have been farther north and even launched at Hite who can hopefully chime in.

TR.

I am also heading down, 20-? Thinking the same thoughts. I am interpreting the forecast as "find serious shade". Hopefully someone will be back from the north in the next few days and give a report. Seems like peak runoff is in Summit County right now so I think I will be going south but will hope for reports.

TR

scubatim

Last week - 3-9th we were in Iceberg. Lots of short slurps, but on the way up lake saw a bunch of 1-3 minute boils - Iceberg mouth, Slick Rock bay all the way up to Annie's. The wind put them down, but the most active was mid day - late afternoon. We also chummed a bunch at evening @ "Half Moon Bay" point - just up from Mokie. A few coming out near the entrance.

Outside

23rd will be my first trip of the year and hope for a repeat of last year, nonstop slurps up north. Never seen a boil before either...getting anxious! Any reports to share?

birdsnest

living in Page for ten years gave me the perspective that fishing is almost always better up north. We have our moments at the dam and intakes but overall the reports always seemed better up north. Could be the grass is greener syndrome though.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
living in Page for ten years gave me the perspective that fishing is almost always better up north. We have our moments at the dam and intakes but overall the reports always seemed better up north. Could be the grass is greener syndrome though.
Fishing success is usually better in the lake north of Wahweap. Sometimes Warm Creek is better. Padre Bay, Rock Creek and Last Chance are consistently better. For those launching out of Wahweap or Antelope the 10 to 20 mile run is usually worth the trip in number, size and health of fish caught. Those using bait along the main channel in years like 2017 will catch more stripers than those in Padre Bay. But when they start to slurp/boil that changes to favor those that run uplake.

catchnabuzz

Not to derail your thread but I am fairly new to fishing lake powell and have had a blast there this spring. Can't wait to get my new boat back on the lake. My question is, how do you guys handle fishing in the heat? I'm just not into fishing when it's unbearably hot. Even camping is miserable. It's very tempting though because colorado fishing sucks!

Dungee Fishing

Not to derail your thread but I am fairly new to fishing lake powell and have had a blast there this spring. Can't wait to get my new boat back on the lake. My question is, how do you guys handle fishing in the heat? I'm just not into fishing when it's unbearably hot. Even camping is miserable. It's very tempting though because colorado fishing sucks!
Swim, wade fish from shore, and sleep under the stars on your boat. Plus you don't care about the heat if you're chasing boils. :)

bobco

catchabuzz lets see a picture of that new boat! yeah we stay away in the heat, 110 during day and 90 at night no thanks anymore.....

birdsnest

Slip into a sliver of shade and hope a rock doesn't fall on you.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
My summer time pattern is get on the water in time to see the sky turn from black to red. Morning is the coolest part of the day. Then I fish for 4-5 hours from 5-9 AM before the air temperature increases from warm to hot. I wear a long sleeve shirt and wide brimmed hat. I can take the hat off and dip it in the water for cooling if needed. If the boat is moving while chasing boils I am not even aware that the day is hot.

fishfry

It is about our only time to go as a family and it is Powell so we don't care. What Dungee and Wayne said, Fish in the morning, play in the afternoon and when your chasing slurps/boils you dont even notice. It is going to be an Oven next week but we will come prepared. Still not sure where to head from Bullfrog. Since we only have 3 days on the water I need to stick to a certain area and being in a Pontoon we aren't able to run up and down the lake.

TYme2Fish

Kinda like others have said. Fish early and late, lots of water. I remember one year, in the middle of the day, between being drug with a life jacket, and running the trolling motor while fishing.

Ty Gray

I love to fish and I love the water. I fish until I get a little heated then jump in the water and then back to fishing. I have caught quite a few smallies sitting in the shade on a rock slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.