• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

What happens if?

Maverick5207

Last year was my first time to Lake Powell. Fell in love with the place. Bought a houseboat. Planning on spending most of my retirement here but I'm beginning to ponder what happens if the lake levels continue to drop over time. Would they build lower launch ramps? What about the marinas? It doesn't look like Antelope Marina has anywhere to go. Wahweap might lose I-dock at least and the opening of the tires would have to move.
Just curious how things would play out as the lake levels recede.

Line

I have been thinking about this as well, the Glen Canyon Institute has been pressing to drain the lake for a while now, but they recently released an article stating that now it actually makes sense. What I have been trying to determine is what their plan is for the hundreds of houseboats that are in use, which also drive the local economy (in the hundreds of millions).

If the water continues to remain below the current level, I think Antelope should be okay as they are in the canyon where it is very deep, and their valet launch ramp seems to be the lowest on the lake. They might be in the best situation out of all of the marinas on the lake, due to their depth and location.

Does anyone know how deep the water is below Wahweap’s docks, I haven’t been there with a depth finder in a while.

I think this year will tell us a lot with how busy the lake will be and everything bottle necking through Antelope/the narrows. If ntelopes public launch ramp doesn’t open then the traffic at Wahweap’s ramp will be horrendous.

Neil

My Wahweap slip is in 190’ of water. The main channel is very close to the Marina tire enclosure on southeast point

JFRCalifornia

Could there be a new agreement between all the state's that tap this resource? Could each state be forced to accept a smaller allotment of water?
Is there already a contingency plan in place that addresses this issue?
Yes, yes, and sort of. In the past couple of years, the states (really the lower basin states) have already agreed to a slight reduction, but more is needed to make up the gap between supply and demand, or more accurately, between sustainable supply and water rights.

As far as a contingency plan goes, the various states are in different mindframes about accepting the reality they all face. Some have been much better about pursuing alternate water supply and reducing demand through conservation (CA comes to mind), while others doggedly are trying to preserve existing water rights by pursuing unnecessary and expensive pipeline projects (think Utah).

Will be quite interested to follow the future collective efforts of the seven states and Mexico who all draw water from the Colorado to address this issue...

Bill Sampson

I know there were probably other reasons, but I felt that many of the larger houseboats moved to Antelope Point Marina because the curve by the dam where you head from Wahweap to Antelope Point was not real deep at low water levels. In the low years in the early 2000's,, my houseboat only showed 23 feet of depth there. If it got too shallow a lot of boats would be cramped in a small area.