We've missed Lake Powell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPSPOWELL

The lake kept going down, Hite closed down, Quagga mussels seemed imminent, and Anne & I started a salmon pilgrimage to the Pacific coast of Canada that took up mid July through mid September for eight-years. Lake Powell got pushed back to a quick trip each late September or October. Well we sold the ocean boat and are looking forward to renewing our old Powell habits on an entirely different lake. Unfortunately what else is different is our lost connections with a great bunch of north-lake fishermen. Hopefully we can re-connect with some of them as well. Some are, unfortunately gone now; Dave Wallace who taught me about jigging and whose “WallyLures” still in my tackle box I guard jealously, and Papa Jack who taught me to fish SMB. Wayne & Kathy Dorsett are retired again and spending their summers in Alaska, and I still occasionally get to fish with Hotwheels. We’ve lost touch with the group campers at Hite and Halls Crossing; Clark from St. George, Top Cat and Jenn, Striper Steve & Rhonda and their girls Vanna(before she was Vanna) and ??, Chet Garling, Dan & Gloria Spitzer, Kurt Jensen, Gizz, and more that escape me at the moment. Anyway, I hope to see some of you at the lake as we step back into freshwater at what has remained our favorite lake.

Dan Spitzer

The lake kept going down, Hite closed down, Quagga mussels seemed imminent, and Anne & I started a salmon pilgrimage to the Pacific coast of Canada that took up mid July through mid September for eight-years. Lake Powell got pushed back to a quick trip each late September or October. Well we sold the ocean boat and are looking forward to renewing our old Powell habits on an entirely different lake. Unfortunately what else is different is our lost connections with a great bunch of north-lake fishermen. Hopefully we can re-connect with some of them as well. Some are, unfortunately gone now; Dave Wallace who taught me about jigging and whose “WallyLures” still in my tackle box I guard jealously, and Papa Jack who taught me to fish SMB. Wayne & Kathy Dorsett are retired again and spending their summers in Alaska, and I still occasionally get to fish with Hotwheels. We’ve lost touch with the group campers at Hite and Halls Crossing; Clark from St. George, Top Cat and Jenn, Striper Steve & Rhonda and their girls Vanna(before she was Vanna) and ??, Chet Garling, Dan & Gloria Spitzer, Kurt Jensen, Gizz, and more that escape me at the moment. Anyway, I hope to see some of you at the lake as we step back into freshwater at what has remained our favorite lake.
Welcome home. Keep us all posted on when you plan on being at the lake, as will we.

GPSPOWELL

Welcome home. Keep us all posted on when you plan on being at the lake, as will we.
Thanks Dan. I'm building a new (old) Lake Powell fishing machine from an '87 Lund Tyee, basket case I picked up. We expect to have it finished and trialed in time to hit the lake for the dark of the moon in July. I would optimistically like to launch & camp at Hite or Farley but Halls may have to win out.

GPSPOWELL

Keep in touch Mike, we have to plan a trip this year. :)
Hotwheels
Sounds good Jack. The wakeboard boats beat us up so bad on the trip back to Bullfrog last year after fishing with you that we decided to up-size a bit. We bought an old 17' Lund Tyee that I've gutted and am rebuilding. Discarded the old Johnson 2 stroke and replaced it with a 4 stroke, 115hp Merc outboard. I should have it all back together in time for a trip on the dark of the moon in July (23rd). I hope it works out to meet up with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.