Walleye Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the fishery. Walleyes follow food and low light. I saw an article about a great lakes tagged walleye that traveled over 200 miles from one lake, through a river system into Canada
and caught in another lake. I think that is a very rare case but growing up fishing the great lakes, walleyes started in shallow early to spawn and gradually moved out to deeper water and main lake humps throughout the summer. At Lake Powell I feel that they have everything they need everywhere in the lake. I think they are only in higher numbers in the north end of the lake because of the stained water and more current. In may when they are starving, the low visibility water conditions let them feed all day and take advantage while stripers rest. Competition strategy that seems to work well for the walleyes and the fisherman. This is only my opinion so....

Last edited:
Depends on the fishery. Walleyes follow food and low light. I saw an article about a great lakes tagged walleye that traveled over 200 miles from one lake, through a river system into Canada
and caught in another lake. I think that is a very rare case but growing up fishing the great lakes, walleyes started in shallow early to spawn and gradually moved out to deeper water and main lake humps throughout the summer. At Lake Powell I feel that they have everything they need everywhere in the lake. I think they are only in higher numbers in the north end of lake because of the stained water and more current. In may when they are starving, the low visibility water conditions let them feed all day and take advantage while stripers rest. Competition strategy that seems to work well for the walleyes and they fisherman. This is only my opinion so....

Thank you very much, I appreciate your input.

Do Walleye migrate or do they basically stay in the same general area most of there lives?

They do both. We saw many of the walleye tagged in early May in Good Hope Bay move downstream as much as 15 miles later in the month while others stayed put on the same flat where they were initially caught. It is an interesting study and we will learn more as time passes and more fish are caught. Fish I tagged in Padre Bay in June 2016 were caught in the same vicinity but over 2 miles away from the tagging spot. What we don't know is if that fish migrated and then returned, or stayed in the same vicinity without moving. I hope we can keep the contest going for another year so more of the pieces fall into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back