• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Wahweap Marina Island?

Ed_on_WD

It's been a while since I've checked the webcams, so I was surprised when I saw houseboats blocked in their slips by the formerly submerged rock. Now it's an island!

Nobody seems to have posted anything about this. How many houseboats are unable to leave their slips? How fast is this situation progressing? Thanks to people posting old pre-lake pics, I've seen the rock in question, and it looks like it will be forcing the relocation of more docks soon.

I'm an Antelope Point person, so I'm wondering if anybody has pics they night be able to post of the Antelope Point Marina area before the lake backed up into that part of the channel. Are there similar rocks, points, or spires that are going to show up as the water levels continue to drop? Does anybody have bathymetry data that they can share? Maybe with an overlay of the current Marina layout?

Questions. So many questions.

Gem Morris

Escalante-Class Member
In the passageway up lake just out from the line of houseboats there’s supposedly one pinnacle (submerged) that has a large tractor tire resting on it. I forgot to check it out when I was there in October but others have talked about it.

You know they moved an entire dock at Wahweap, right?

Last edited:

drewsxmi

Pretty much vertical walls from the present lake level down to minimum reserve pool at 3,370' elevation. Greens, yellows, and browns are already exposed (think of plant life drying out as the bank storage seeps out), grey is between the current level and minimum power pool at 3,490', while reds are between minimum power and minimum reserve pool. In terms of navigation, that's the worst place to put a marina since it almost completely blocks the channel, although at full pool there was a lot of open water to the northeast. In terms of the docks and slips, they have plenty of water under them, and will not be stranded unless there are new diversion tunnels dug around the dam. It looks like there is a small debris fan under the end of the valet ramp, still well below minimum reserve pool.

I've seen mention of the pinnacle with the tractor tire on top of it, but I don't see any sign of that on the contour data. A few other problems with the Antelope site are the launch ramps now (or soon) ending in vertical cliffs, steep access ramps to the docks from the land, the narrow passage for traffic past the marina, and the mooring cables for the docks that are attached to the cliffs instead of to the bottom. Somebody posted about a houseboat snagging one of those cables with unpleasant consequences.

People have mentioned launching with cranes instead of boat ramps there. With enough money I'm sure a launch system is possible.

Disclaimer on my picture that the overlay with the marina docks is from Google Earth, and may be out of date. The picture was taken when the water level was up in the middle of the first yellow contour.

Attachments

• AntelopeCountour1.JPG
    AntelopeCountour1.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 72

Ed_on_WD

When I was there in September (man, it seems so long ago!), I did see a tractor tire up on the shore of Antelope Island across from the fuel docks. There seemed to be steel cables running to it or around it, I didn't take a pic or pay it much attention at the time. I was trying to look down into the water to spot the spire wearing a tire, that I remembered from 15 years ago. From Drew's AntelopeContours.JPG, it seems that there isn't any structure in the main channel, so maybe that tire ashore was what I remembered from a time when the water level was 40 feet higher. Now, the biggest hazards to navigation seem to be the cables bracing the Marina.

I know they relocated an entire Wahweap dock to get away from that emerging rock, but now another dock (or two) is being blocked by the same rock as the water continues to drop. I understand Aramark would be reluctant to relocate more docks if there is even the smallest chance that we may have a decent spring run off, but the webcam view shows houseboats unable to move now. Soon, those boats may be resting on the rock.

Trix

In the passageway up lake just out from the line of houseboats there’s supposedly one pinnacle (submerged) that has a large tractor tire resting on it. I forgot to check it out when I was there in October but others have talked about it.

You know they moved an entire dock at Wahweap, right?
"Moved" the entire Wahweap marina? They relocated I dock (I think that's the one) before the island surfaced, but I think the the only marina move was adjusting its position for lower water.

John-UTAZ

Any closer pictures of the Wahweap Marina Island? Looks large and tight to J-Dock but hard to tell from webcam.

drewsxmi

This picture was posted on the "Moving I-dock thread by Hoskm01 on 9/26/2021. Moving i-dock

It's getting more obvious in the webcam now, and there does not look like a lot of clearance to back out those houseboats.

drewsxmi

Not sure what year this is....'64 ????....anybody guess?

Bob will know, so please feel free to steal 'thunder' on this...... 🤣

Plenty O' Thunder to go around.....:)
I'll estimate late summer or early fall of 1965. It looks like about 15 - 20 feet of elevation on the Wahweap Whale, putting the lake elevation at about 3,530'. There is a small bathtub ring on the whale, but it has not been flooded yet, which first happened in the spring of 1966. The marina has two active docks, but does not look too crowded, and the vegetation has an autumn feel to the colors. It looks similar to the YouTube video that was linked from here (and widely discussed) a couple of months ago. Great find!

Edit: Video and discussion at Historic video of Wahweap Marina

Last edited:

Tiff Mapel

These pics are from September 26th. The Wahweap island was just starting to surface. The ducks seemed to enjoy it. My daughter and her buddy paddled over to check it out.

Tiff

Attachments

• IMG_6010.jpg
    IMG_6010.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6016.jpg
    IMG_6016.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 133

Rainbowbridge

I'll estimate late summer or early fall of 1965. It looks like about 15 - 20 feet of elevation on the Wahweap Whale, putting the lake elevation at about 3,530'. There is a small bathtub ring on the whale, but it has not been flooded yet, which first happened in the spring of 1966. The marina has two active docks, but does not look too crowded, and the vegetation has an autumn feel to the colors. It looks similar to the YouTube video that was linked from here (and widely discussed) a couple of months ago. Great find!
Thanks Drew, that 3,530 sure puts things in perspective.

And Gem, I agree it's such fun to see those old...but 'new in '65' cars...

methinks, however....ONLY that '65 Vette that caught your eye had disk brakes...all the others were drums.....OMG.....fading fast on downgrades pulling (or now being pushed) by a boat & trailer.....

:sneaky:

Dougie

On a related note, if Wayne is going to talk with Mr. Shott (which he said he would about the DR closure) then maybe he could bring up another couple of issues as well. (see below)

Speaking of this island, has anyone at NPS or Aramark looked at this picture at 3530? Our reliable friend Drew estimates with good credibility that this is the elevation in that picture. The USBR most probable lake elevation for April is BELOW 3530. Gentlemen?

While we're at it, could anyone refresh me again what is the job of Mr. Shott? Surely it cannot be communication with the public, because if that is one of his responsibilities, he is failing terribly. The government loves to put forth proposals and solicit public comment. Why not for these issues?
And if no talk is necessary, just INFORM us and TAKE ACTION. We are running scared, because were burned with the summer ramp closures at Wahweap. Mr. Shott was only "saved" by the discovery of the old access ramp which allowed for 2 months of access for smaller vessels until the Gustaveson ramp was finally completed after the summer season was largely over. He has also been "saved" by providential September monsoons and above average October precipitation which definitely slowed the decline in lake levels. I estimate we'd be 3-4 feet lower right now if not for those 2 "gift" months. Mr. Shott would not be well advised to continue to base his operation on a repeat of such miracles.

a) closure of DR (yes or no)
b) this Wahweap island and moving more docks
c) the mud puddle that Bullfrog marina will be at 3530 and below, including moving dock facilities, and how to provide better public access as that temporary ramp is getting sketchy, and possibly having to move the houseboat field closer to Halls.