Wahweap cleaning station closed 4/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
We stopped there with 30 stripers this afternoon and had to find another place to clean them. I hope it gets back in operation soon. There are hundreds of fish that need to be filleted there every day.
We cleaned ours on the boat this evening and put the carcasses in a trash bag which we dumped at a dumpster. Not as convenient as the cleaning station

Still closed this evening and somebody is using it anyways, and making a HUGE mess :(

I have never used the cleaning station, although I have not caught the number of fish that some have, I always thought you should fillet your fish as soon as possible and put them on ice in the cooler and return the carcasses to deep water.

Last edited:
I have never used the cleaning station, although I have not caught the number of fish that some have, I always thought you should fillet your fish as soon as possible and put them on ice in the cooler and return the carcasses to deep water.

That is a great self reliant plan. Many of us have grown accustomed to using the NPS cleaning station and do not know what to do when it is out of action. I checked today and it will not be working for a few more more days. So as you head out make sure to take a cutting board, fillet knife, and ice in the chest so you will have a good fishing experience. DO NOT count of the Wahweap Cleaning station being open for a few more days.

Did they say what the problem was? I can see closing one side for repairs, but closing both sides at the same time so the entire station is closed during the peak fishing season seems unreasonable. Between both sides they can't swap parts to make one side work in the meantime?

Did they say what the problem was? I can see closing one side for repairs, but closing both sides at the same time so the entire station is closed during the peak fishing season seems unreasonable. Between both sides they can't swap parts to make one side work in the meantime?

The problem is in the drainage line far down the road from the cleaning station. The equipment at the cleaning station is working fine but they have a problem draining the line. It is just like a sewer back up at the house. You have to fix the drain before all will work properly again. .

cleaned over 400 over the last 2 days the smell is very bad . april 22nd 1st report it being closed going on 3rd week

We filleted our stripers on the boat after we finished catching this weekend. Then put the carcasses in the lake. Make sure to puncture the air bladders so they sink to the bottom. After they decompose they release nutrients back into the lake to increase the food chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back