• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Wahweap and Antelope marinas

How low will it go

• Lower

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • Higher

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

Line

Antelope is going to be very interesting over the next few seasons if the lake level remains low. The pictures show it being pretty narrow, but others have also reported cables out of the water near the shore which might make it even narrower. I bet they will need to re-secure the dock using lower positions to tie too if the water level continues to drop. Around their fuel dock, a lot of space is required for maneuvering the larger boats, and it will be in full swing with the cut being closed so I am sure there will be a bottleneck problem there.

Ed_on_WD

I used Antelope Valet on Thursday 5/6/21. On that day they had a backhoe with a post hole auger, mounted on a barge, drilling holes in the cliff face at the waterline to set new eye bolts.

Per the Turn Around Manager, the floating docks are not tied to anchors on the bottom of the channel, but are instead tied horizontally to the rock faces. The original cables were out of the water by about 10 feet, and they broke the surface of the water about 25 or 30 feet from the cliff face.

By now the cables have been reset to the new lower eye bolts. But, those bolts are not under the surface of the water, and for some distance out from the cliff face, the cables are still close enough to the surface to represent a real danger to props. It will get worse as the water level drops.

I can only assume that there are cables running across the main channel, under the Wakeless Zone, that are in need of relocation. Perhaps those were set deeper, maybe by divers, during the original construction. Several years ago, maybe 2006, I can remember passing through Wakeless on my Wave Runner, with the sun directly overhead, and I could see large heavy equipment tires lowered onto rock spires to serve as bumpers. Those rock spires have got to be getting uncomfortably close to the surface.

Things are going to get interesting.

uwhusky

According to the charts, the water levels should start to rise and should continue through early July and then decrease every so slightly through September. Is there any reason to believe this year's charts won't at least follow the same trends as year's past?

1621299081755.png

nzaugg

According to the charts, the water levels should start to rise and should continue through early July and then decrease every so slightly through September. Is there any reason to believe this year's charts won't at least follow the same trends as year's past?

View attachment 13040
Upstream snowpack is worse than it was even in 2018. The basin hydrology is about tapped out. There is not likely to be a June to July water level increase.

Line

View attachment 13040
While those charts might be promising to look at, I don’t think they give a good idea of what this years inflow pattern will look like. Basing it on the previous 5 years is not very accurate, I believe this years inflow is very similar to 2005 when the lake did not raise, but instead leveled out for some time and then gradually dropped again.

PowellBride

Also, previous early May dates the inflows were 2x or 3x the outflow. Right now the outflow is 2x or more the inflow

Dougie

Where did you see “the charts”? Not the USBR forecast printed many times in this forum, either the “most likely” or “worst case” scenarios.

jimmybame

I used Antelope Valet on Thursday 5/6/21. On that day they had a backhoe with a post hole auger, mounted on a barge, drilling holes in the cliff face at the waterline to set new eye bolts.

Per the Turn Around Manager, the floating docks are not tied to anchors on the bottom of the channel, but are instead tied horizontally to the rock faces. The original cables were out of the water by about 10 feet, and they broke the surface of the water about 25 or 30 feet from the cliff face.

By now the cables have been reset to the new lower eye bolts. But, those bolts are not under the surface of the water, and for some distance out from the cliff face, the cables are still close enough to the surface to represent a real danger to props. It will get worse as the water level drops.

I can only assume that there are cables running across the main channel, under the Wakeless Zone, that are in need of relocation. Perhaps those were set deeper, maybe by divers, during the original construction. Several years ago, maybe 2006, I can remember passing through Wakeless on my Wave Runner, with the sun directly overhead, and I could see large heavy equipment tires lowered onto rock spires to serve as bumpers. Those rock spires have got to be getting uncomfortably close to the surface.

Going through there 3 weeks ago in my sailboat i draft 6 feet and it made me a little nervous

Line

Also they use concrete blocks as weights to keep tension on the lines, pulling them underwater but when the wind picks up, the lines tighten towards the surface. Just hope that when it is windy, your boat is in a slip.

I think it will also be interesting seeing what Antelope/Wahweap’s plan is to deal with houseboats that need to be removed from the lake for repair, or an emergency such as taking on water.

Ed_on_WD

I don't have a fish finder or sonar on my houseboat or Wave Runners. It would be REALLY interesting to have a Wordling cruise through Antelope's Wakeless Zone and post a graph of the obstructions in the tight spot there, especially in front of the fuel dock and restaurant.

2006 was a while ago, and I was so spooked seeing the spire with the giant tire on it, I can't exactly recall the precise location.

Ed_on_WD

Also they use concrete blocks as weights to keep tension on the lines, pulling them underwater but when the wind picks up, the lines tighten towards the surface. Just hope that when it is windy, your boat is in a slip.

I think it will also be interesting seeing what Antelope/Wahweap’s plan is to deal with houseboats that need to be removed from the lake for repair, or an emergency such as taking on water.
I did see the giant concrete counterweights, hanging higher up the cliff face in a couple of places. At the time, I guess I thought they were part of the system for pulling the barge tight to the cliff face. But, it does make sense that they would serve the dual purposes of maintaining tension and submerging the cables.

As to removing houseboats with emergency flooding, etc., that's going to need to happen more in this coming season than in any past season. It'll require some truly out of the box thinking, like maybe an inflatable dry dock arrangement of some sort, to get them to a place that they could be beached for repairs. There might end up being a temporary bone yard of some kind on a nearby beach on Antelope Island, since nobody will be able to remove a vessel in distress.

Line

So how narrow is that passageway along Antelope Point Marina compared to the narrowest Castle Rock Cut ever gets?
The Castle Rock Cut is narrower without a doubt, but where Antelope gets tricky is when houseboats are maneuvering in/out of a slip/fuel dock. Do the larger boats at wahweap typically use the cut?

Big_BobberII

We went through Antelope Point Marina this past weekend about 9:30 am. My husband said we shouldn't tow the Chaparral through the no wake zone so I drove it behind the Boatel houseboat. It went smoothly and no houseboats came pulling out but we sure kept a sharp lookout for them. Some houseboats and ski boats following us were impatient and travelling too closely to us in my opinion and eventually passed us before the end of the no wake zone.
Beaching in Warm Creek was great as no tour boat wakes to endure. Wakeboarders were out but it was a bit too cold (70 degree water) for most. I counted 10 houseboats on Saturday night in the first part of Warm Creek bay.
The sand beaches at Gunsight have turned to rock beaches so get there early if you want to get a spot with enough sand to bury your anchor.
The Maytag Straights were rough on Sunday Morning coming back to Wahweap.
Another rough spot was Navajo Canyon entrance as several boats were fishing there and then people entering and exiting created some BIG waves that almost swamped a smaller pontoon boat loaded with folks. Fortunately they quickly moved to the back of the boat to bring the bow up.
Lots of Kayakers taking off from Antelope Point boat ramp and going up to Antelope canyon.