Upper lake fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willifish

Fished Good hope and above the week of 8-10-18 through 8-17-18 stripers were randomly boiling the length of Good hope morning and evening
some very large but somewhat scattered boils lasting over an hour. Not super fast fishing but steady on topwaters. Spoon fishing was very consistent once a school was located. Very large schools of fish were graphed on the bottom in 170' I assume these were resting stripers? I could never get any of them to hit a spoon I found it difficult to fish that deep. Red canyon also had stripers similar to Good Hope.
From the Horn up to two mile canyon boils were more numerous and consistent. Fishing was fast and furious. All in all I caught about 160 stripers fish caught were 18-24" and fat and healthy.
For everyone's Info we also went up to White Canyon The water from the mouth of Trachyte up is getting very shallow due to sediment we found it to be around 10-18 feet deep in the river channel through striper city according to the map it should have been around 120' deep than means over 90' feet of sediment! We found the water back in White to be about 50'.
Willifish

Last edited:
Fished Good hope and above the week of 8-10-18 through 8-17-18 stripers were randomly boiling the length of Good hope morning and evening
some very large but somewhat scattered boils lasting over an hour. Not super fast fishing but steady on topwaters. Spoon fishing was very consistent once a school was located. Very large schools of fish were graphed on the bottom in 170' I assume these were resting stripers? I could never get any of them to hit a spoon I found it difficult to fish that deep. Red canyon also had stripers similar to Good Hope.
From the Horn up to two mile canyon boils were more numerous and consistent. Fishing was fast and furious. All in all I caught about 160 stripers fish caught were 18-24" and fat and healthy.
For everyone's Info we also went up to White Canyon The water from the mouth of Trachyte up is getting very shallow due to sediment we found it to be around 10-18 feet deep in the river channel through striper city according to the map it should have been around 120' deep than means over 90' feet of sediment! We found the water back in White to be about 50'.
Willifish

Willifish - It is uncommon to find striper schools holding deeper than 100 feet. If you have a graph picture of the 170 ft deep school I can confirm it for you.

Thanks for the reply Wayne, sadly I didn't think of getting a picture of them. Is it possible its shad? I thought maybe they were trees or something
on the bottom. but when I went back to the same location on the GPS later they wouldn't be there. I saw them several times through the week. Maybe
my old Humminbird is seeing things.

Thanks for the reply Wayne, sadly I didn't think of getting a picture of them. Is it possible its shad? I thought maybe they were trees or something
on the bottom. but when I went back to the same location on the GPS later they wouldn't be there. I saw them several times through the week. Maybe
my old Humminbird is seeing things.

What normally happens at great depths is the sonar signal bounces off the cliff wall, hits bottom and then returns to graph. What you see looks like something on the bottom but it is actually the reflection of the sonar waves as they hit the side, then the bottom and work back to the graph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back