• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Trip Report-Oct 23-29

dgoodwin

Just got back from a fascinating 7 day trip exploring from Bullfrog north to Good Hope Bay. This was my wife and my first time on Powell. We're both long time river runners. The last time I was remotely on the waters of Powell was back years ago when I could run Cataract Canyon and take out at Hite. This past summer we bought a Starcraft Superfisherman 170 for the purpose of exploring new places. We spent 7 days at Powell-hiking, fishing, and exploring all the nooks we could. The reservoir is dropping like a stone. For some, this is a reason to stay away. For us, it was the reason to visit. The fact that Glen Canyon may some day return, for me, is an interesting thought. With the water being some 130' lower than "normal", the canyons were more dramatic and we got a glimpse of what once was of this amazing place. Weather was generally good. The chilly nights were great for sleeping and kept most people away. We saw 5 river otters, lots of grebes, cormorants, coots, and other waterfowl. We caught enough smallmouth to enjoy frequent fish fries and ate well. We had one powerful storm on our 4th night-with winds ripping up around 50 mph and some heavy rain-while we snuggled up in our secure tent in Knowles Canyon. Being avid river runners, we were prepared for anything and had a great time. We're already planning our next trip...

Attachments

• DSCN1157.jpg
    DSCN1157.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCN1158.jpg
    DSCN1158.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN1159.jpg
    DSCN1159.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCN1165.jpg
    DSCN1165.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 272
  • DSCN1169.jpg
    DSCN1169.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN1174.jpg
    DSCN1174.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN1183.jpg
    DSCN1183.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN1187.jpg
    DSCN1187.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCN1192.jpg
    DSCN1192.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN1194.jpg
    DSCN1194.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN1196.jpg
    DSCN1196.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN1200.jpg
    DSCN1200.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 272

Blackjack

Looks like you had some nice camp sites, and you got to experience what we think is the best month to visit Lake Powell. The wind and rain early in the week kept us off the Lake until late Tuesday. Curious whether you saw many other boats during your travels to GHB ? The slips at Bullfrog were a virtual ghost town this week. I totally agree about the low water actually being “a good thing”. More people seem to be staying away, and you just have to remember to be cautious and not assume the middle of the channel is going to be clear of potential obstructions. Sure would be nice if the NPS would realign the channel markers/buoys to actually reflect current conditions.

dgoodwin

Looks like you had some nice camp sites, and you got to experience what we think is the best month to visit Lake Powell. The wind and rain early in the week kept us off the Lake until late Tuesday. Curious whether you saw many other boats during your travels to GHB ? The slips at Bullfrog were a virtual ghost town this week. I totally agree about the low water actually being “a good thing”. More people seem to be staying away, and you just have to remember to be cautious and not assume the middle of the channel is going to be clear of potential obstructions. Sure would be nice if the NPS would realign the channel markers/buoys to actually reflect current conditions.

We were in GHB just in the southern end. We only saw one small houseboat camped near us- two couples with 3 german shepherds who said they planned to be there for a couple weeks-fishing and hanging out. The only other shore-tent campers we saw was a father-son team on our first night in Moki. The weather was on the cool side-which I'll take for the solitude over warmer weather and more people. We pretty much ran it like a river trip. We had a groover system, a 3-bucket dish wash system, a simple cook set up. I felt I was a little out-gunned on correct fishing lures and set up. We didn't see any striper boils and I only caught one small one. The fishing didn't pick up until we got to GHB where I could get up before sun-up to fish the small mouths-which seemed way more active in the early hours of the day.

eddy.price

Seven days in late October with good weather - I'm envious!

Like you we came to Powell as river runners 1st a decade + ago. Still running rivers though it's easier to get on the lake compared to getting river permits. I did manage a couple of river trips this season including the Middle Fork Salmon in May. Like seeing your sand stake in the photo- we usually tie off the stern with sand stakes. Our primary Powell boat is a Chaparral open bow, 2 x 20 mil rocket boxes fit perfectly in the stern hatch - like it was custom make for them.

We've got 2x weekend trips in October. Hoping for a November trip before calling it a season. So nice to be out in the shoulder season, fewer boats and those that are out tend to be Powell regulars, lots of friendly waving "hi" and mutual enjoyment of the quiet time.

Welcome to the lake, enjoy the exploration - there is much to see!

dgoodwin

Seven days in late October with good weather - I'm envious!

Like you we came to Powell as river runners 1st a decade + ago. Still running rivers though it's easier to get on the lake compared to getting river permits. I did manage a couple of river trips this season including the Middle Fork Salmon in May. Like seeing your sand stake in the photo- we usually tie off the stern with sand stakes. Our primary Powell boat is a Chaparral open bow, 2 x 20 mil rocket boxes fit perfectly in the stern hatch - like it was custom make for them.

We've got 2x weekend trips in October. Hoping for a November trip before calling it a season. So nice to be out in the shoulder season, fewer boats and those that are out tend to be Powell regulars, lots of friendly waving "hi" and mutual enjoyment of the quiet time.

Welcome to the lake, enjoy the exploration - there is much to see!
Yeah, the handful of other boaters we saw were friendly. I think in the entire 7 days we saw around 7-8 boats- including a couple rafts motoring down from Hite towards Bullfrog. I can only guess, but I figure they ran Cat and were planning on exploring from there down... I'd like to explore further north than GHB. Our little boat is limited by fuel capacity- 23 gal in the belly and we took an extra 25. I'd consider stashing gas in tan spray-painted jugs along shore near Hite so I can head up there, explore more side canyons and have a fuel stash...

Njsmail

Just got back from a fascinating 7 day trip exploring from Bullfrog north to Good Hope Bay. This was my wife and my first time on Powell. We're both long time river runners. The last time I was remotely on the waters of Powell was back years ago when I could run Cataract Canyon and take out at Hite. This past summer we bought a Starcraft Superfisherman 170 for the purpose of exploring new places. We spent 7 days at Powell-hiking, fishing, and exploring all the nooks we could. The reservoir is dropping like a stone. For some, this is a reason to stay away. For us, it was the reason to visit. The fact that Glen Canyon may some day return, for me, is an interesting thought. With the water being some 130' lower than "normal", the canyons were more dramatic and we got a glimpse of what once was of this amazing place. Weather was generally good. The chilly nights were great for sleeping and kept most people away. We saw 5 river otters, lots of grebes, cormorants, coots, and other waterfowl. We caught enough smallmouth to enjoy frequent fish fries and ate well. We had one powerful storm on our 4th night-with winds ripping up around 50 mph and some heavy rain-while we snuggled up in our secure tent in Knowles Canyon. Being avid river runners, we were prepared for anything and had a great time. We're already planning our next trip...
Thanks for the report! It was a windy night in the back of moki canyon! We stopped and chatted with you the next morning. The lake is amazing, great pictures! Looks like you had a great trip.