Trip Report: Hike Bullfrog, Halls Creek Bay, Lost Eden

slickrock joe

We did a 3 day hike May 21, starting with a Kayak from Bullfrog Exec ramp toward the Eye. Hiked over the Eye and into Halls Creek Bay. The trees, all across the bay are 20-30' tall and the soil was tricky. Dry but we would find soft spots. You could tell in the main stream bed that it was wet under the 18" of dried mud. Closer to the water the water would be at the surface of the tree trunks, and random boil ups. Close to this the dried mud stacks would wiggle on the underlying water logged soil. Lake came up about 18" to 3529' over the 3 days.
Camped at Ingrid penninsula (the second left trib coming into Halls). Couple houseboats and fishing boats in and out. We hiked up to the South Arch then over to Lost Eden. Still had boat depth in the cave but astounding to see the stream bed to there.
Msin ramp access was closed, doing some construction. Had a fun trip

Attachments

• bullfrog.jpeg
    bullfrog.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 419
  • EyeLookingSouthHalls.jpeg
    EyeLookingSouthHalls.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 417
  • EyeToWest.jpeg
    EyeToWest.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 404
  • Halls.jpeg
    Halls.jpeg
    566.7 KB · Views: 406
  • Halls2.jpeg
    Halls2.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 403
  • Halls3.jpeg
    Halls3.jpeg
    530.5 KB · Views: 413
  • HallsTree.jpeg
    HallsTree.jpeg
    539.3 KB · Views: 408
  • HallsTrib.jpeg
    HallsTrib.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 410
  • HallsTrunk.jpeg
    HallsTrunk.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IngridSkeg.jpeg
    IngridSkeg.jpeg
    745.3 KB · Views: 410
  • kayakEye.jpeg
    kayakEye.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 432
  • LostEden.jpeg
    LostEden.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 451
  • LostEden2.jpeg
    LostEden2.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 455
  • ramp.jpeg
    ramp.jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 441

Greg Archer 71

We did a 3 day hike May 21, starting with a Kayak from Bullfrog Exec ramp toward the Eye. Hiked over the Eye and into Halls Creek Bay. The trees, all across the bay are 20-30' tall and the soil was tricky. Dry but we would find soft spots. You could tell in the main stream bed that it was wet under the 18" of dried mud. Closer to the water the water would be at the surface of the tree trunks, and random boil ups. Close to this the dried mud stacks would wiggle on the underlying water logged soil. Lake came up about 18" to 3529' over the 3 days.
Camped at Ingrid penninsula (the second left trib coming into Halls). Couple houseboats and fishing boats in and out. We hiked up to the South Arch then over to Lost Eden. Still had boat depth in the cave but astounding to see the stream bed to there.
Great pictures! Thanks for posting. Happy Memorial Day.

thekid26

great report, looks like an amazing time, thanks for posting all the pictures, cheers.

sparkin5280

Fantastic trip report! Look like a fun time of exploring and hiking. Really cool pictures, some from a different perspective than normal, thanks for sharing. I spent some time in those same places in early May but I didn't have a trained raven with me to get some of those shots you got.

Kevin G

Pictures were great! Thanks for posting them. I am curious to hear some reports of how things went at the Bullfrog Ramp on the first busy weekend. I have heard the walk is long to the parking area. Was there much of a line? Houseboats launching now?

Scott

Pictures were great! Thanks for posting them. I am curious to hear some reports of how things went at the Bullfrog Ramp on the first busy weekend. I have heard the walk is long to the parking area. Was there much of a line? Houseboats launching now?
I was there on Memorial Weekend and launched Friday night at about 6:30. It wasn't busy, but there are only 3 launch lanes. One of the lanes was taken up by a vehicle unloading (definitely not an unloading zone there). I can see where this will be a problem on a Saturday if lanes are taken to unload. I left the lake on a Tuesday morning at around 10, and again did not encounter a wait. I would suggest going and leaving at non-traditional times if you don't want the wait. The shuttle service was running and I was able to get rides both directions which made it really nice.

Skibum

Great perspective in the photo of the tree trunk with mud cracks and shadows! Definitely a keeper. I’m sure someone has a sad story to tell about the prop carved Moqui steps and skeg skid mark, not to mention the sudden stop…

David A Dexter

We were fishing Lost Eden last year in May; we were fishing at the top of those trees in the back of the canyon; amazing. That rock pile in the grotto was under water; just incredible. Thanks for sharing!

powellobsessed

All my life except for the last 3 years we made our beach camp in Halls Creek. I must say these pics are shocking and a little saddening. The last year we camped in there the top of the trees were about 10-15 feet above the water. Although it is a stark reminder of the crisis we are in water wise. I thought I’d never see the bottom of the lake bed in Halls Creek. And lost eden wow! Powell is slowing becoming a lake I know longer know. I’m sure there’s still plenty of water but what I knew growing up sure looks a lot different. Hoping to have some record snowfall lotta next few years fingers crossed.

Kevin G

All my life except for the last 3 years we made our beach camp in Halls Creek. I must say these pics are shocking and a little saddening. The last year we camped in there the top of the trees were about 10-15 feet above the water. Although it is a stark reminder of the crisis we are in water wise. I thought I’d never see the bottom of the lake bed in Halls Creek. And lost eden wow! Powell is slowing becoming a lake I know longer know. I’m sure there’s still plenty of water but what I knew growing up sure looks a lot different. Hoping to have some record snowfall lotta next few years fingers crossed.
I feel your pain. I don't even want to see it looking the way it does right now. I know there are still some great places on the lake, but the contrast of what it is today and what it used to be back then is difficult not to notice at every turn. Maybe a new generation can learn to appreciate it without the knowledge of history.

slickrock joe

I hiked across Halls Creek at 3555' back in 2005 across the eye to the middle arch tributary. Hoping for a fip of the cycle so 6 yrs later its up 80' (2012- 3636'). Halls' is our favorite, but we have gotten older and visit it way less than we like to.