Trip Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

Does anyone take out trip insurance when spending like a week at Powell?
We do it because I've read that medical evacuation can run 20 to 30 grand by chopper.
And in some parts of the country the chopper companies are going after the patient for way
more than the regular health insurance companies will pay. Like twice as much as one would expect and
driving some into bankruptcy worst case. What chopper service is at Powell? Air Methods? Hope not.
Just trying to figure out if we are being wise or silly. It's about $100.00 for $500,000.00 'medical transportation'. The rest of the the typical travel policy really has little value for a Powell trip though.

Ryan

I've never done any insurance like that.

A friend of mine's daughter had an accident at the lake last year. They air lifted her from the mouth of the Escalante to Page, and then from Page to Phoenix. (not sure of the exact details, but she landed wrong after hitting a wake, and they were worried about her back. She spent some time in a back brace, but is ok)

While I have never asked him directly about the cost, he has never complained about it either.

I will bring it up next time I speak with him and get his take.

Jimbo

Thanks Ryan. It was actually your post and pictures that made me wonder what a group as physically active
and large as yours may encounter. You just never know. For us it's just me and the admiral.
Would like to here about your friends experience too.

Waterbaby

Staff member
I have no doubt it is in teh $40K range. The cost to chopper my husband from the hospital in Havasu to Sunrise in Las Vegas in 2009 was $37,000.

Dale

Check with your insurance company. We have medicare and a good secondary. When my wife fell and broke her femur, the bill for the flight from Pine to Flagstaff was $25000. (We had to get a chopper out of Flag, as Payson and Phoenix were having major thunderstorms and they could not fly) Between Medicare and our secondary, our out of pocket was just over $1000. When She came home 4 days later, she had additional complications from the meds and possible internal injuries the Flagstaff doctors did not find, the flight from Payson to Mayo Hospital in Phoenix was just over $15,000, and our insurance covered all but $1500.
I think a lot of the costs are due to the out of control ambulance chasing slip & fall scumbag lawyers! Tort reform must be enacted soon to reign in these predators!

Last edited:

ROSCOELAB

Classic has a family plan that costs around $100 a year, they now transport from Canada to Mexico along the corners corridor. living in Page it is a considered health cost as you never know if you or any of your family will need to be air evaced, this policy writes off anything left over after your insurance pays transport costs. may be a good investment if your traveling here 5-6 times a year, like I said, we just consider it part of our health insurance payment.

Squirrel

4 years ago, David got flown from Bullfrog to Grand Junction, that was $35K. The ambulance ride from Walker Field to St. Marys was $5K, what is that, 3 miles?? Sq

Leardriver

The cost to charter a Bell 207 Jet Ranger is under $1000 per flight hour. Oil pipeline companies charter all the time. Perhaps by skipping the medical insignia, the real price would show up. The price to charter a Lear Jet in passenger configuration is $3500 per flight hour out of Grand Junction, Phoenix, or Vegas. If you aren't critical, there are options. Speaking of which, I should update my contacts so that I know whom to call when needed:D

John P Funk

The cost to charter a Bell 207 Jet Ranger is under $1000 per flight hour. Oil pipeline companies charter all the time. Perhaps by skipping the medical insignia, the real price would show up. The price to charter a Lear Jet in passenger configuration is $3500 per flight hour out of Grand Junction, Phoenix, or Vegas. If you aren't critical, there are options. Speaking of which, I should update my contacts so that I know whom to call when needed:D
Now that is handy information to have in the back of your mind. I had no idea charters were even close to affordable. Now in case of emergency, I just have to survive the 4 hours to Junction from little old Dove Creek.

Dale

As I referred to above, when the "medical" part is included, the price skyrockets! In addition to flight nurses and other medical professionals as needed, they must be paid, which raises the price a little. Unfortunately, the slip and fall scumbag lawyers have increased the risk so much that those seemingly outrageous fees are necessary for the medical transports to stay in business. If anything goes bad on the flight, they get sued! These are almost always trauma flights with patients at high risk of dying! The scumbag lawyers must be shut down!
We just brought my brother in law from a nursing home in Florida to one in AZ, where we can look after him. The cost of a first class seat for the BIL, my daughter, and with a nurse from the facility here, was just over $4000. We had to release the nurse and the facility of any responsibility. The cost of a medical transport was over $40,000.

OOPS. I missed a few details. The $4000 included the daughter and nurse flight to Tampa, transportation to Ft Myers, medical transport from Ft Myers to Tampa, and medical transport from Sky Harbor to Payson. The $40,000 was just the medical flight from Tampa to Phoenix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.