Trash Tracker report

Tiff Mapel

Hi all,

It's so nice to have the Trash Tracker program back and running!! Thank you, NPS and Aramark!! We've missed the last two years (suck it, covid) and we are back in action. We cleaned Gunsight Canyon during our trip, and we FILLED the Eliminator (trash barge). Everyone we spoke to was very appreciative, and nothing but positive interactions. We were, however, relentlessly pounded by surf boat wakes, no matter where we went... Ah well, we were still having more fun than they were. ;)

We finally got that fridge out of that small unnamed canyon across from Stateline. Whew! That thing was a whopper! Then we got out two motors from Wahweap Bay. A few mattresses (heavy and full of sand), a mangled houseboat ramp, plenty of fishing poles, golf balls, cans, bottles, broken glass, FIREWORKS, anchors, rope, umbrellas, a sleeping bag, numerous ski flags, and I even found a Geo Cache. Yes, I left it there.... If the lake ever gets back to full, that Geo Cache will be underwater...

We also had the best weather. Not too hot! Lots of monsoon clouds to keep it cool. Saturday was such a treat--clouds and light rain all morning. Great Trash Tracking weather! Gunsight is a whole lot cleaner. I hope it stays that way.

Tiff

Attachments

• IMG_6549.jpg
    IMG_6549.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6550.jpg
    IMG_6550.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6553.jpg
    IMG_6553.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6562.jpg
    IMG_6562.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6563.jpg
    IMG_6563.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6570.jpg
    IMG_6570.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6571.jpg
    IMG_6571.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_6572.jpg
    IMG_6572.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_6599.jpg
    IMG_6599.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_6611.jpg
    IMG_6611.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6612.jpg
    IMG_6612.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_6614.jpg
    IMG_6614.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_6626.jpg
    IMG_6626.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6634.jpg
    IMG_6634.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 154

Tiff Mapel

Thanks Tiff and the whole crew! What a great public service you all do! Could you get a sense of how much of that trash was “new” vs long buried quasi-historic? Any old cameras? Schlitz cans from the 70s?

A lot of it was old trash. Of course, a good portion blows away when people are not expecting it, so mattresses, sleeping bags, clothing, hats, etc.. was found in abundance. The old cans are always mind-blowing. For some reason, I found a lot of Olympia beer cans this time around. And those old pull-tab style cans. A Tab can! Yes, and Schlitz too. And Hamms! And one I'd never heard of: Buckhorn Beer? Country Time Lemonade, Classic Coke. It was a blast from the past.

No cameras this time around. I did find an Apple Watch and a Fit-Bit. And Pat found an iPhone in an Otter Box case. No drones this time, either.
As always, interesting stuff....

Tiff

Gem Morris

Escalante-Class Member
Quick sidebar.

I lost an iPhone in an otter box at about 10,000’ in the Uintas in a place we go to regularly. A friend found it 3 years later.

It spent 2 winters outdoors - big time below freezing temperatures and several feet of snow, maybe 10’?

I plugged it in and charged and it fired right up. One big problem - I can’t remember my passcode!! DOH!!

kilojuliett

Thanks to Trash Trackers for being so generous with their time & energy. I appreciate your work.
Tiff - from your photos I stand corrected. The Trash Tracker in the photos has a flat stern deck.
Is this a "newer" Trash Tracker? For the life of me I recall seeing the TT five or so years ago and I could swear it was a slant deck model of the 53 footer. I must be gettin' old!

Tiff Mapel

Thanks to Trash Trackers for being so generous with their time & energy. I appreciate your work.
Tiff - from your photos I stand corrected. The Trash Tracker in the photos has a flat stern deck.
Is this a "newer" Trash Tracker? For the life of me I recall seeing the TT five or so years ago and I could swear it was a slant deck model of the 53 footer. I must be gettin' old!

The old, identical Trash Tracker was sold last year, and they pulled the current one from the rental fleet. The Trash Tracker houseboats have always had flat stern decks. My friends have the same model houseboat up at Halls Crossing, but they have the slanted deck. Maybe that's what you were thinking of when I posted pics of that "fun" trip?

Tiff

Raven Haven

Thanks for the post, Tiff. As always, Mary and I had a great time. We estimate that for this 4-day trip we collected abut 2800lbs. of trash. We filled the empty dumpster and that didn't even include the refrigerator. Thanks to those of you who stopped by to say "hi" and "thanks" or honked at us with a thumbs-up. And to the nice group who gave us some cold water. Please leave your beach cleaner than you found it!
Thanks, TTEric
P.S. We only saw two small boils in Wahweap Bay. None between there and Gunsight.
#lookattheview

VikingRanch

Thank you for your efforts!
It’s interesting to see where trash collects. We cleaned out a little bay on the North East edge of Oak late last year. No camps there at normal water levels, but the wind drives floating trash from the whole bay there. Lots of Schlitz. Filled three large bags and damn near lost a shoe in the knee deep muck.