Trash Tracker/GRIT 2020 Season

Tiff Mapel

Hi Wordlings,

This Saturday, February 1st, is the day applications are accepted for the 2020 Trash Tracker/GRIT season. If you were thinking of participating in either of these awesome and worth-while volunteer programs, please join us! (GRIT trips will also be taking applications on that date too--if you'd rather scrub the graffiti off the sandstone, instead of pick up trash).

Get your team together, look at the calendar and decide which trip/dates work best, and apply this Saturday!

Click this link and scroll down for the calendar.

https://www.nps.gov/glca/getinvolved/trashtracker.htm

https://www.nps.gov/glca/getinvolved/grit.htm

Thanks!
Tiff

Dave I.

I've always wanted to do a session, but still working hard to make a living. Wish I could join!

I find it sad that there is not enough respect for the beauty of Lake Powell that a GRIT team even needs to exist. It's just plain stupid.

I was working down at the lake when the leaders of the trash tracker was sneaking out fossils and petroglyphs. That one really got under my skin. Yes, they did get busted.

Apparently leave it as you found it and pack it in/pack it out is a thing of the past. For some at least.

birdsnest

I've always wanted to do a session, but still working hard to make a living. Wish I could join!

I find it sad that there is not enough respect for the beauty of Lake Powell that a GRIT team even needs to exist. It's just plain stupid.

I was working down at the lake when the leaders of the trash tracker was sneaking out fossils and petroglyphs. That one really got under my skin. Yes, they did get busted.

Apparently leave it as you found it and pack it in/pack it out is a thing of the past. For some at least.
There have been many employees of Aramark that have worked uplake many years ago who bragged about pilfered artifacts and in some cases dug up graves so it ain't just trash tracker people. The north end must be loaded with stuff to steal if you are so inclined. The early folks, (Wetherill etc.) had an excuse but we all should know better by now. I really am worried that a generation of entititlement may spawn another bunch of uncaring pieces of excrement.

Last edited:

Todd

Huh?

John P Funk

I find it sad that there is not enough respect for the beauty of Lake Powell that a GRIT team even needs to exist
While some littering is caused by people who just don't care, I believe that another factor is the wind that sweeps unsuspecting tents/canopies/etc into the water to never be seen again. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.

birdsnest

John, this isn't about the stuff that hasn't been taken, but the stuff that has been taken. Not about the wind but about the people. I appreciate your optimism but Dave seems to be stating his observance and his interpretation of it. That certainly would be a fact to him. I think his commentary is about the people who don't care, not the people who do care. The people who give a crap,TrashTracker for example, always end up cleaning up after those who don't give a crap. We don't live in a utopian world so this will go on but it still is a shame that humans are still so stupid as to crap in their own backyard. I am not pointing fingers because I am one of those people. All the stupid stuff I did as a kid makes me wonder why I didn't get my butt whupped more than I did. Living without thinking is a lot easier than reflecting upon ones actions and trying to do better. Many people just don't seem to think. Sounds like a rant so I'm shutting up.

Dave I.

I know everytime we go to the lake, we end up throwing away more thrash than we produce. Just look around the fire pits and 6 times out of 10, we always find trash. The trash tracker team does a great job but they can always use a little help. ;)

I personally haven't seen any graffiti at the lake but maybe it's more rampant the farther South you get? But I do see a lot when I'm going on back country rescues. Hate going down a back road and turning a corner and finding a huge painting on a rock wall. It's both saddening and infuriating.

All I'm saying is 2 rules to live by when you go to the lake.
1. If you pack it in, pack it out. Taking a little extra out never hurts either.
2. Leave it how you found it. Clean up your mess and leave the artifacts so others can enjoy them.

Like birdsnest said, "we don't live in a utopian world", but we can all dream high, can't we?

JFRCalifornia

Great advice from Dave. As for graffiti, there’s plenty at the lake. I was on a graffiti removal trip last year, and we had a lot of work to do. You tend to find it in alcoves of side canyons, particularly where there’s a good houseboat landing spot. A lot of it is charcoal drawings on the walls, some is etched with rocks, a lot of the usual “Bob + Julie ‘17” type of stuff. We did a lot of cleanup in Davis Gulch and Willow Gulch, and found a bunch of other graffiti elsewhere. It’s interesting—apparently when people see a wall of graffiti, it invites people to add more. So that’s why you need to knock it down as soon as you see it...

Tiff Mapel

Hi Wordlings,

This Saturday, February 1st, is the day applications are accepted for the 2020 Trash Tracker/GRIT season. If you were thinking of participating in either of these awesome and worth-while volunteer programs, please join us! (GRIT trips will also be taking applications on that date too--if you'd rather scrub the graffiti off the sandstone, instead of pick up trash).

Get your team together, look at the calendar and decide which trip/dates work best, and apply this Saturday!

Click this link and scroll down for the calendar.

https://www.nps.gov/glca/getinvolved/trashtracker.htm

https://www.nps.gov/glca/getinvolved/grit.htm

Thanks!
Tiff

Hi all,

Well, the calendar filled up fast. BUT! The San Juan trip needs volunteers! It's Trip #13, July 7-13 out of Wahweap. It would be great to get some Wordlings aboard! If any of you are interested in booking this awesome trip to the SAN JUAN, please contact Ranger Betsy at: Betsy_Scroggs@nps.gov. They can take FOUR volunteers on this trip!

~Tiff