Ticaboo Canyon and Cass Hite

historyzack

I'm just finishing up my section about Cass Hite living his last years in a cabin in Ticaboo Canyon. One of my sources (Cass Hite: The Life of an Old Prospector by James Knipmeyer) mentions that the NPS attached a buoy to his grave to mark the spot. Another source (Glen Canyon and the San Juan Country) mentions that the buoy was blown away in a severe storm, but this is all I can seem to find about it. That book was published in 1999, so it must have been before then. When I went there last year, I couldn't seem to find any trace of the cabin or the buoy. Has anyone here seen the buoy in Ticaboo Canyon? or does anyone have any other leads I could follow?

Tiff Mapel

I'm just finishing up my section about Cass Hite living his last years in a cabin in Ticaboo Canyon. One of my sources (Cass Hite: The Life of an Old Prospector by James Knipmeyer) mentions that the NPS attached a buoy to his grave to mark the spot. Another source (Glen Canyon and the San Juan Country) mentions that the buoy was blown away in a severe storm, but this is all I can seem to find about it. That book was published in 1999, so it must have been before then. When I went there last year, I couldn't seem to find any trace of the cabin or the buoy. Has anyone here seen the buoy in Ticaboo Canyon? or does anyone have any other leads I could follow?
Zack,
Have you read "King of the Colorado - The History of Cass Hite?" (By Tom McCourt). You'd really enjoy all of Tom's books. He's also got one on White Canyon.

Tiff

historyzack

I know I’ve seen a photo of it, not sure where. But I do have a photo of part of the 1971 version of the Stan Jones map (with his own notes!) that shows the location of the floating grave… see attached…
View attachment 19601
Thanks JFR, I totally forgot about Stan Jones. His location appears to be the same as what I've found from Crampton.
@JFRCalifornia is right. Last fall, Topoman posted a photo of the buoy (although it doesn't show background scenery).

The Last Days of the Hite Ferry and the Rise of Highway 95
Thanks for sending the link! I believe this picture appears in Cass Hite by James Knipmeyer. Wish it showed the background scenery.
Zack,
Have you read "King of the Colorado - The History of Cass Hite?" (By Tom McCourt). You'd really enjoy all of Tom's books. He's also got one on White Canyon.

Tiff
I've read both of those! Much of my section on White Canyon is based on McCourt's recollections.