Thoughts on Yamamoto's new color

Steve H

I just received a package from Yamamoto Baits..........3 different baits in the new 405 color (crushed goby). To me it looks like a good crawdad imitator. Anyone use it yet? Comes in a 4" double tail hula grub and 4" & 5" Senko's.

20190815_135354.jpg

Gem Morris

I literally gave ALL my Yamamoto's away this year, about 30 packages, many unopened. The tails fall off so easily I think it's 'engineered obsolescence'.

It seemed like for a time Yamamoto was the only game in town but now there are better products out there.

Steve H

I literally gave ALL my Yamamoto's away this year, about 30 packages, many unopened. The tails fall off so easily I think it's 'engineered obsolescence'.

It seemed like for a time Yamamoto was the only game in town but now there are better products out there.
Wish I was around when you gave them away. The 93-10-208 has been my southern Utah goto bait since the mid 90's as well as the 97 version.

Dungee Fishing

If I had to go after one fish, I’d use a Yamamoto over anything. If I want to catch fish after fish after fish all day without changing the soft plastic after maybe four fish I’m going elsewhere.

I’ve found some packages are better than others. One hula grub can last upwards of 10+ fish, others last like two fish. If you’re crawling the hula it lasts longer because the fish are simply picking it up, when they hit it while it’s swimming back that’s when you lose arms and tentacles.

After all that... the crushed goby looks great! I’d use it for sure.

linnell

20171108_055315_zpsk5ykrtyw.JPGI make my own plastics, jigs and spinnerbaits. Yammys plastic is about 1/4 salt, which makes it weak

Edward Gerdemann

they are worth the trouble for me.

I agree. I've used a lot of different soft plastic brands over the years and have found Yamamoto baits superior to most. The fact they tear apart easily due to their softness and the amount of salt they have is exactly the reason why fish eat them so well. They will grab and hold on to a Yammie longer than any other brands I have used, and that includes Berkley Power baits and Gulp. In head-to-head comparisons they usually come out on top for me. A few years ago I took a bunch of Senkos with me to Texas to fish a small lake in the development where my uncle lives. I used the originals while he used another brand's Senko knockoff. I outfished him nearly two to one on his home lake, and I don't think I'm really a better fisherman than he is. I simply think my lures were more attractive to the fish.

As for the new color, I'm sure it will work well on a number of waters including Powell. Lake Powell crayfish are more of a green color which I think are better matched by the watermelon and green pumpkin colors, nevertheless I don't believe what color of lure you use is a major factor on Powell as the fish will usually hit just about any reasonable color. I'm not so sure that solid white or solid black might not produce as well as the color combos I generally use. Location and presentation are far more important in fishing success than the lure used or its color. There are a lot of Yamamoto colors that when compared side by side are so similar to one another that I don't think the fish can tell the difference most of the time. I've always contended that all the different Yamamoto colors are more designed to catch fishermen than fish.

With that said it would seem Yamamoto is targeting anglers in the Great Lakes region with this color as gobies, an exotic species, have spread all through the great lakes and are being gobbled up enthusiastically by smallmouth and other species. I also know that in some waters I've fished over the years this would be a pretty darn good color to match the local crayfish which I've found vary significantly in color depending on species. One thing about the Yamamoto folks is they offer a huge variety of colors and it would be very difficult if not impossible for any angler not to find several Yammie colors that work well on his or her home waters. :D

Ed Gerdemann