The Good, The Bad, The Ugly Trip Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slots-R-Us

Just returned from a trip up at the north end during our favorite time of the year. We love how the angle of the sun this time of year makes everything stand out more and the shadows add a beauty you just don't get any other time of the year. Visited our favorite spots; Cathedral in the Desert and Gregory Natural Bridge.

The Good: It was beautiful, smooth water, nice air. (Don't tell anyone this is the best time of year for Powell!) Survived a big-time storm on one night and had a few other sprinkles but the weather was generally good.
They were working during the week and got all of the houseboats moved from the Bullfrog buoy field over to the new buoy field north of the Hall's Crossing field. Rumor is the gas dock will be moved down near where the old ramp is and that executive services for small boats will be located over in the Stanton Creek area. The Dangling Rope marina store is now high and dry, last time we were there it was floating. There is a lot of activity going on with docks being moved around right now.

The Bad: The marina ran out of gas! Ruined trips for several people. We'll need to refuel the houseboat next time down. Of greater significance, we stopped to help a boat that was stranded. They told us they had been stopped for 2 hours without getting any help. This is the second time in as many trips our old 2001 Searay Sundeck has rescued one of those new fancy $200,000 boats. I must confess to getting a certain satisfaction out of that. We started towing them back to the marina but started to run out of moonlight so we put them in a sheltered cove and put the main body of their party in our boat and got them back to the marina. I was surprised they hadn't got help sooner on a relatively busy day. I suppose, for this group, the really bad part is that both the boats we rescued were wake setters :)

The Ugly: We had a large group in a rental houseboat parked near us up at the end of Moki. Their music ran long into the night which was ok and not particularly disturbing to us. However, they picked up stakes and left, leaving a damaged inflatable and a lot of garbage on the beach. Very disappointing! We cleaned up the mess on our way out wondering how people could be so intentionally damaging to such a beautiful place.

BTW: If you haven't taken the trip up to see Gregory Natural Bridge, it is well worth it!

Just returned from a trip up at the north end during our favorite time of the year. We love how the angle of the sun this time of year makes everything stand out more and the shadows add a beauty you just don't get any other time of the year. Visited our favorite spots; Cathedral in the Desert and Gregory Natural Bridge.

The Good: It was beautiful, smooth water, nice air. (Don't tell anyone this is the best time of year for Powell!) Survived a big-time storm on one night and had a few other sprinkles but the weather was generally good.
They were working during the week and got all of the houseboats moved from the Bullfrog buoy field over to the new buoy field north of the Hall's Crossing field. Rumor is the gas dock will be moved down near where the old ramp is and that executive services for small boats will be located over in the Stanton Creek area. The Dangling Rope marina store is now high and dry, last time we were there it was floating. There is a lot of activity going on with docks being moved around right now.

The Bad: The marina ran out of gas! Ruined trips for several people. We'll need to refuel the houseboat next time down. Of greater significance, we stopped to help a boat that was stranded. They told us they had been stopped for 2 hours without getting any help. This is the second time in as many trips our old 2001 Searay Sundeck has rescued one of those new fancy $200,000 boats. I must confess to getting a certain satisfaction out of that. We started towing them back to the marina but started to run out of moonlight so we put them in a sheltered cove and put the main body of their party in our boat and got them back to the marina. I was surprised they hadn't got help sooner on a relatively busy day. I suppose, for this group, the really bad part is that both the boats we rescued were wake setters :)

The Ugly: We had a large group in a rental houseboat parked near us up at the end of Moki. Their music ran long into the night which was ok and not particularly disturbing to us. However, they picked up stakes and left, leaving a damaged inflatable and a lot of garbage on the beach. Very disappointing! We cleaned up the mess on our way out wondering how people could be so intentionally damaging to such a beautiful place.

BTW: If you haven't taken the trip up to see Gregory Natural Bridge, it is well worth it!
Great report, and I appreciate the good, bad and ugly insights…

I also appreciate that you refer to Gregory as a natural bridge (which it is) and not an arch… just a small pet peeve of mine when I hear “Gregory Arch”…

Great report, and I appreciate the good, bad and ugly insights…

I also appreciate that you refer to Gregory as a natural bridge (which it is) and not an arch… just a small pet peeve of mine when I hear “Gregory Arch”…
Hmmm … I’ve never heard / seen / noticed a distinction… please explain more 😎

Last edited:
If it's supposed to drop to 3505 by next March, by the time I get to Gregory Natural Bridge, it will probably not have any water underneath it... Wasn't it about 20 feet deep under the arch now?

And, thank you for cleaning up after the slobs who should know better.

Tiff

If it's supposed to drop to 3505 by next March, by the time I get to Gregory Natural Bridge, it will probably not have any water underneath it... Wasn't it about 20 feet deep under the arch now?

And, thank you for cleaning up after the slobs who should know better.

Tiff
Gregory has about 20 feet of clearance now, that’s right. But even at 3505, there will still be water under it…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back