Taller 2 person tent?

Hey guys!
Looking for a 2 person tent recommendation!
I’m a solo camper and have had my first full season of camping with a little tent I love, but I find myself wanting a bit more headspace above me.
My tent currently is 4 and a half feet wide by 7 feet long. The footprint itself fits my needs perfectly other than the really low ceiling. I’d also need a tent that has a full rain fly. Not looking to do any cold weather camping.
Thanks!

Moe Jones

If you are boat camping the three or four man tent will have head room, Eureka, ALPS, North face, and a host of other makers have good tents, remember you get what you pay for. get a full waterproof floor and good ventilation with full fly that can be staked down and out. I used one that has been to many high alpine lakes via horseback and backpack in Colorado and it still was good for Powell and Navajo. The larger tent is just as easy to set up as the smaller dome tents. Enjoy the larger space.

Hey guys!
I’m a solo camper and have had my first full season of camping with a little tent I love, but I find myself wanting a bit more headspace above me.
My tent currently is 4 and a half feet wide by 7 feet long. The footprint itself fits my needs perfectly other than the really low ceiling. I’d also need a tent that has a full rain fly. Not looking to do any cold weather camping.
Thanks!
SeekOutside floor less tents. Great tents, not cheap for what you get. Uses one pole. You have to get beyond the floor less thing or you will probably not like one. Not much higher than other tents but the larger models are with the center pole. Use it hunting, all weather. Just need to set it up on a mound if wet weather is expected.

svivian

SeekOutside floor less tents. Great tents, not cheap for what you get. Uses one pole. You have to get beyond the floor less thing or you will probably not like one. Not much higher than other tents but the larger models are with the center pole. Use it hunting, all weather. Just need to set it up on a mound if wet weather is expected.
Yep love mine and works great in the winter at powell. Dont have to worry about all the sand that gets into the bathtub of a normal tent.

Trix

Escalante-Class Member
Isn't WW an amazing forum?! Knowledgeable, thoughtful advice. Thank you Wayne and dedicated moderators for preserving the integrity, civility and friendliness over the decades. A simple question about a tent. Boom, here ya go!

Springbar makes several tents that you can stand up in. They're not cheap, and you have to order on the release day each month before they all sell out. They're canvas and a bit heavier - not for hiking.

VikingRanch

Big Agnes makes a very high value tent. Their “car camping” line of tents are excellent for Powell. We have a 4 person, and while we have to stake it like we mean it (any tent at Powell) it has stood up to some rough Powell storms. About 65” inside? My kids stand up straight but I cannot. I also had a 4-man “Flying Diamond” that is more like their Everest line. Much lower and stouter, took the wind like it was nothing. My son could climb over it the poles were so stout.

We also have a Big Agnes three man backpacking line, Copper Spur I think? Very nice little tent and has done very well at Powell.

VikingRanch

Unless you are pretty petite, I’d subtract one person from the tent rating, our three man is great with me (large) my wife and both dogs. If weight isn’t a big concern, shop three person tents, they are very close in price, and often only weigh a little more, and the space is nice.

Cookie

A couple things that are a must when buying a tent for Powell that you must take into account, must have's:

• Aluminum Poles (fiber poles will snap in extreme temps making the tent useless).
  • guidelines - a must for any tent with the winds you are going to expect at times
  • full fly (waterproof) - not just a vestibule, they usually don't cover the entire tent, ok if the rain is falling straight down.
  • waterproof floor, they come in all sorts of ratings, I prefer bathtub design floors to keep water out.
One thing you must do when setting your tent on Powell, use those guidelines, they are a must.

bobco

we bought a REI 4 person basecamp a couple of years ago, had a alps 4 person only 2 pole tent, had it laying down in our faces one windy night, enough of that. tall tents need at least 3 poles. the room in 4 person is really nice if your doing cots which i highly recommend at powell.

JFRCalifornia

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Hey guys!
Thanks!
I love my Big Agnes Tiger Wall. Not super tall but easy to sit up straight. Openings on either side—love that. Super light and fits in a very small bag.F514A26D-05C4-4B84-95BA-97BF3BC71B2A.jpegC779D58A-A2F9-4F09-A9A9-0372ACC975C9.jpeg

Just used it this week at Lake Powell! See the photos…F1A7211D-BFC4-4387-8D9F-CC05B4080661.jpeg

Last edited:

Rainbowbridge

Escalante-Class Member
I love my Big Agnes Tiger Wall. Not super tall but easy to sit up straight. Openings on either side—love that. Super light and fits in a very small bag.View attachment 19516View attachment 19517

Just used it this week at Lake Powell! See the photos…
Great pics, JFR, (y)

........but didn't you say this was the tent that attracts houseboats when you're away from your carefully chosen campsite???

;)

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Used to but now roughing it today is Marriott :)
Sounds like my wife- roughing it is the Hilton without a jacuzzi. I use a two man Kodiak Canvas at Powell. It has 8.5x 6 floor, so very roomy for two. Not full stand up, but I use a short camp chair in it to sit up and read a book. Lots of screen for ventilation. Very wind resistant if staked out properly and not as heavy as the larger Kodiaks and Kirkhams.