Swimmer Itch -Warm Creek

Status
Not open for further replies.

gznokes

We were camped in Warm Creek last weekend (mid Oct) and at least 6 people in 4 different families came home reporting swimmers itch. The itch ranged from mild general itchiness all over the body, to a mild itchy rash with red dots. We've never had swimmers itch in all the years we've gone to Powell so I thought I'd post about it to see if others have come across it. We weren't swimming in scummy water. Water temps were 73-75 degrees.

Gem Morris

Escalante-Class Member
Dang! Sand Hollow (near St. George) has been afflicted with that in years past - haven’t heard about it for awhile. Maybe it eventually dies out?

Flipper

I got this stuff wading out chest deep fishing for bluegills in Pelican Lake up by Vernal 40 years ago. Did not know what the heck I had got into, but it reminded me of the chickers I had got as a kid back in Kentucky picking blackberries as a kid. My wife told me that they had a sign up close to where I had waded in that said no swimming that the water had critters that caused "swimmers itch" I had never heard of such a thing before. I will not forget what swimmers itch is and will avoid it at all costs.

Last edited:

FishnFly

I got this stuff wading out chest deep fishing for bluegills in Pelican Lake up by Vernal 40 ueara ago. Did not know what the heck I had got into, but it reminded me of the chickers I had got as a kid back in Kentucky picking blackberries as a kid. My wife told me that they had a sign up close to where I had waded in that said no swimming that the water had critters that caused "swimmers itch" I had never heard of such a thing before. I will not forget what swimmers itch is and will avoid it at all costs.
Quick google search. This stuff sounds like no fun.

Rainbowbridge

Escalante-Class Member
That article doesn't say if/when the parasite actually leaves you....and they say use epsom salt.....but they also say it can live in salt water.

Sorry you went through this....IMHO, a consult with a good doc might be useful...

(y)

Jeees......first quagga muscles, now this, what's next, zombies in the San Juan?

o_O

gznokes

Quick update, the itch was generally mild and resolved after 2-3 days. We did have one or two cases where it was worse. Maybe it isn't classic swimmers itch, it sounds like maybe there is a "hot tub version" caused by pseudomonas bacteria that can also hit lakes that might not be as severe

Momma Bear 2000

Thanks for the update — glad resolution has been quicker than projected and hopeful for bacteria rather than parasites.

Sorry that happened to you guys ☹️

Status
Not open for further replies.