Stripers near Bullfrog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im heading to Bullfrog May the 2nd. Really appreciate all the reports so far. Does anyone have any info on good striper bite in the area? Last year during this time they were biting around Halls crossing bouys in the main lake. Are they there again? Any other tips? We would like to do our part in reducing the Striper population through the practice of catch, kill and eat. Any one find any up by the Rincon?
Thanks in advance, I will post when I return

Lettsfish

There should be plenty of stripers for you to find. And the nice thing is that they are in better condition than those found up to the north.

We were there this past Thursday -thru Sunday and found a very willing striper bite up near Moki and also the main channel by Halls (this area was the best). Also, they seemed very aggressive later in the day when the early morning walleye and SM bass had died down. Best for us was from noon to 2:30 when we left, not because the bite slowed down (it actually was getting better - we had fish on all lines), but because the live well was full and that's all we wished to clean. About 30 - 50 fish for 2 of us in just a couple hours for 3 days. Filled our 3' x 2' x .1.5' cooler.

I think it was helpful to have 3'-4' of flouro line at the end and all we used was 1/2 of an anchovy on a 1/8 oz leadhead jig. 35' to 45' of water was the best (cast toward shore and let it fall) and when they came through (about every 10 minutes) it was fun - 2 of us with a fire drill - all lines bent. Oh - make sure those knots are good - they really tugged.

The only negative is that my fingers are ripped up from handling and cleaning fish.

birdsnest

We call it striper thumb and we love it. It's a badge we proudly wear.
There should be plenty of stripers for you to find. And the nice thing is that they are in better condition than those found up to the north.

We were there this past Thursday -thru Sunday and found a very willing striper bite up near Moki and also the main channel by Halls (this area was the best). Also, they seemed very aggressive later in the day when the early morning walleye and SM bass had died down. Best for us was from noon to 2:30 when we left, not because the bite slowed down (it actually was getting better - we had fish on all lines), but because the live well was full and that's all we wished to clean. About 30 - 50 fish for 2 of us in just a couple hours for 3 days. Filled our 3' x 2' x .1.5' cooler.

I think it was helpful to have 3'-4' of flouro line at the end and all we used was 1/2 of an anchovy on a 1/8 oz leadhead jig. 35' to 45' of water was the best (cast toward shore and let it fall) and when they came through (about every 10 minutes) it was fun - 2 of us with a fire drill - all lines bent. Oh - make sure those knots are good - they really tugged.

The only negative is that my fingers are ripped up from handling and cleaning fish.

Lettsfish

Thanks for the info. Are you talking about this point on the left side of the entrance, or maybe the point below the arrow? Also, did you try trolling cranks? Thanks, Steve.View attachment 462
Thanks for the info. Are you talking about this point on the left side of the entrance, or maybe the point below the arrow? Also, did you try trolling cranks? Thanks, Steve.View attachment 462
Point below and just left of the "70". That is outside of Halls. Anywhere along that shore should get you fish. Chum a little and if they aren't there move a bit.

Lettsfish

How and where was the Walleye bite?
We didn't get as many as others at the fish cleaning station, but the ones we found were on main channel rock piles starting at about 12' to 25' deep range. Some friends got theirs in the backs of uplake bays, where they reached about 40' deep and they just slow dragged a jig & worm or bottom bounced a crawler. We saw some nice fish in the 20"-22" range that others had caught. Ours were all in the 14"-17" range but all were in nice shape. Deeeelicious! We didn't try any crankbait fishing or trolling.

fishfry

I am heading down Sunday night or Monday morning thru Wednesday, Thanks for all the reports

Status
Not open for further replies.