Stripers are getting active

Dworwood

We arrived at bullfrog on Thursday around noon and headed to the Escalante, set up camp and had a couple hours to fish. We caught a few small mouth on crank baits and Ned rigs but they were smaller than previous trips up north. Caught a slurp/boil in the mouth of the Escalante just before dusk and caught one three pound striper on a top water. We ended up with three stripers, a dozen SM and a walleye that evening.
Next morning found a couple more slurps/boils in the mouth of the Escalante and near the SJ. MM 57. Fished the lower portion of the SJ before the wind was predicted to pick up and headed back north, again ran across a slurp in the main channel before the Escalante. Each surface activity was worth one to two stripers, all about two pounds. We saw both slurps and what I would call near full blown boils.

We fished the Rincon on Saturday morning and we were near shore targeting SM when I saw fish a couple hundred yards away by the floating restroom. We fired up the engine and went to them and caught several fish over the next 20 minutes. It was hard to keep up with them but they were active for at least 20 minutes and it was more than slurps, there were lots of tails and splashing going on. The wind came up and back to camp for the rest of the day, that day got too hard to hold a boat just about everywhere we went so back to camp to catch a few cat fish. We Broke camp and loaded up this morning to head home but again in the mouth of the Escalante we saw activity so we stopped and caught a couple of stripers, waded over our gear and filleted them, got them on ice and headed out again only to get to the Rincon and see another group on the surface so we stopped and caught two more. It took us a little longer to get to the ramp today than normal but the fish were worth it!
Overall the fishing was hampered by the wind and the SM were smaller this trip than the last couple of trips but we caught several more walleye than normal which is nice table fare. We caught stripers trolling lucky craft crank baits as well as SM and walleye. We found a school below the boat and spooned up a nice striper with a cast master after a slurp went down. The SM we caught in the SJ were between 9” and 13” and we kept them for super that night. All in all it was another great trip, we caught just over 70 fish total. I didn’t get many pictures this trip for some reason, may have been the wind but I do have some proof. I would say we saw at least 7 different slurps/boils over the four days. Two of them were in the same spot I found them last year near the SJ. Most fish were caught on a Ned rig from 5 to 15 feet deep, caught a couple of stripers on swim baits and several fish trolling going into and leaving camp. Again thanks to all of you who give advice and have helped me this past couple of years.
Good luck and stay safe out there.

C996A1AF-425C-49B4-9841-C07F21864198.jpegC985BE5D-5C93-4177-B1F4-FEE446BBBEC1.jpeg280024C2-3F4E-493C-91DF-7471E05E4476.jpeg

Dworwood

One thing I forgot to mention is there was a check point several miles outside the park by Utah division personnel that were checking for seals. We noticed two boats from Colorado skip the decon station that left the ramp the same time as us. Both were pulled off to the side when we got to the surprise check station. I am pretty sure they were getting tickets and they were held up longer than we were going through the on site check. Just an FYI for those in a hurry to get home.

just plain bill

thanks for the clarification! i knew it couldnt be those creatures that swim in the ocean, but i couldnt figure out, in what's left of my mind, what this seal was.
even if i'm just 'stuck' fishing off the bank at the antelope ramp, it'll be a thrill to once again fish powell!! probably the 6th, 7th, and maybe 8th, before heading back to the lone star state.

Basshound91

One thing I forgot to mention is there was a check point several miles outside the park by Utah division personnel that were checking for seals. We noticed two boats from Colorado skip the decon station that left the ramp the same time as us. Both were pulled off to the side when we got to the surprise check station. I am pretty sure they were getting tickets and they were held up longer than we were going through the on site check. Just an FYI for those in a hurry to get home.
Not sure how that would work. If you pulled your boat out late at night no one is there. And the whole thing is kind of stupid for AZ residents when all of our lakes already have the mussels. Kind of laughable to say the least. If they were serious about the whole thing they would decontaminate everyone everyday.

Squirrel

The people that skipped the inspection at Bullfrog lately, (after hours) found the DNR up the road checking for inspection seals (from an earlier post today). Didn’t hear the outcome from that yet. Sq

Dworwood

The boats we saw left at 11 A.M. and the inspection station was open and fairly busy. I can’t say for sure if they received tickets but they left at least 35 minutes before we got through inspection and they were at the roadside check when we got there. I believe they had been there for a little while at least. I would expect they did get ticketed but don’t know for sure. I don’t know what you do if it is after hours, it is the honor system then so it is up to the person.

just plain bill

so, when do they inspect? before or after the water? both?
i did see mussels bank fishing near antelope ramp last time i was there. i mean, i was bank fishing. the mussels were attached to rock, lol...