• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Steel Ramps

Trix

The SL webcam is paused from yesterday afternoon, darn! Sure curious if plates are getting wet.

Meatwagon

Escalante-Class Member
I wonder if this is a form to press the course texture into the surface of the concrete for traction. It appears to be the same dimensions as 1 section of the forms being poured.

Trix

I wonder if this is a form to press the course texture into the surface of the concrete for traction. It appears to be the same dimensions as 1 section of the forms being poured.
Pretty sure these are the steel ribbed plates, salvaged from the power plant boilers, to extend from concrete to launch depth.

Steve H

The SL webcam is paused from yesterday afternoon, darn! Sure curious if plates are getting wet.
I just received a call from my friend working on the new ramp.... plates will be wet very soon. The other big news is a big flush dump of the lake in November. Should drop the elevation a bunch, so much they are planning to pour more concrete then.

Meatwagon

Escalante-Class Member
Pretty sure these are the steel ribbed plates, salvaged from the power plant boilers, to extend from concrete to launch depth.
Yes, seen another picture showing several of them on the ramp. Shouldn't be long now.

Guido

I just received a call from my friend working on the new ramp.... plates will be wet very soon. The other big news is a big flush dump of the lake in November. Should drop the elevation a bunch, so much they are planning to pour more concrete then.
I can't believe that they are going to do that with the current situation. Steve did your friend mention an approximate date?

I just did a search and could not find anything posted about it. The last time they did that, it totally ruined the fishing. It was so bad we packed up and went home....

Steve H

I can't believe that they are going to do that with the current situation. Steve did your friend mention an approximate date?

I just did a search and could not find anything posted about it. The last time they did that, it totally ruined the fishing. It was so bad we packed up and went home....
all I know is November............stupid idea to me

weeds

Agree totally.
weeds

Michael Pyle

Why do a big dump now?

what I don’t get it we are 96% thru the water year and have released 105% of required water for the year. So why not slow the release? Why send more than required down River?

Mike

Trix

I didn't know they were pouring at night. Maybe this was the activity that the Sea Ray skipper parked on Antelope Island reported as night time launching. Really curious how the steel plates get installed, a big tractor push or a big boat pull?

Tiff Mapel

WHAAAAAAT?!?!?! I did some Googling, and found this:

Glen Canyon Dam High Flow Experimental Release | Upper Colorado Region | Bureau of Reclamation

Looks like they're *thinking* about doing a flush. TOTALLY THE WRONG TIME, BuREC!!!!! Time to write some letters, people!!

POWELL TO THE PEOPLE!

Tiff

Meatwagon

Escalante-Class Member
just got these a few minutes ago
It looks like they've got more mounds of rock next to the pour to grade out another base for another section to be poured?!? Any word on whether they're going to asphalt the parking lot or leave it gravel?

Last edited:

Dougie

From the article (see below). Will decide in Oct. One purpose would be to flush out monsoon debris at mouth of Paria. 38,100 CFS for 60 hours would drop the lake 2+ feet

The Department of the Interior conducted the most recent HFE release from Glen Canyon Dam on November 5-8, 2018. The HFE release included a peak flow of approximately 38,100 cubic feet per second for 60 hours (four days including ramping-up from baseflows to peak release) to move accumulated sediment downstream to help rebuild beaches and sandbars. This HFE release was the first to be conducted under the 2016 LTEMP HFE Protocol. Similar HFE releases were conducted in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016 in accordance with the 2011 HFE Environmental Assessment Protocol. The 2018 HFE release provided resource benefits and scientific information to be used in future decision making.