Stanton Creek Walleye (3-5-19)

Mudcracked

Had to escape the freezing temps and wind in WY so I headed to Powell. Camped and shore fished at Stanton Creek and caught a few walleye. Didn’t fish as hard as I usually do... no bass.

The walleye were much fatter and healthier looking than the ones I caught last May.

Caught them on points in Stanton Creek area throwing 3.5” swimbaits. Late afternoon.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Had to escape the freezing temps and wind in WY so I headed to Powell. Camped and shore fished at Stanton Creek and caught a few walleye. Didn’t fish as hard as I usually do... no bass.

The walleye were much fatter and healthier looking than the ones I caught last May.

Caught them on points in Stanton Creek area throwing 3.5” swimbaits. Late afternoon.
Walleye Feeding and Health - Chapter One

Here is why the walleye were in better condition: Walleye spawn in March in Lake Powell as the water starts to warm and the day length increases. This is the spawning trigger for walleye. The fish you caught in Stanton Creek were either ready to spawn or in the process of spawning. They were at the peak of their annual health. They spend the rest of the year building up to spawning season.

After the spawn they look for food and find little to offer in the cold spring water. As the water warms, bass spawning begins in April and stripers and shad in May. Bluegill and catfish are a month behind in May and June. Crayfish are not active until spring warming triggers reproduction. So there is a void in forage from the March walleye spawn, to May when you caught your fish last year. May is the best month to catch walleye because they are so hungry and are forced to look for something to eat in the daytime as well as at night.

When the other species in the food chain complete reproduction then walleye have enough to eat and return to eating early and late and at night. They are fat and harder to catch because they are satisfied and it takes just the right lure at the right time to catch them.

Fishing Facts 102

Mudcracked

I figured that was the reason for them being so fat and healthy now, as opposed to after the spawn. Enjoyed the whole thought process though thanks for sharing Wayne!

They were a nice surprise I didn’t think any/many would be in that area this time of year.

As for the right lure - you can’t beat a 3-4” Keitech swimbait for walleye. I catch lots of walleye on them year round in WY.

Mooner

This question is for Wayne. With the water temps being lower than normal, will the walleye spawn and other species spawn start later then usual?

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Walleye are more likely to respond to increase in day length than water temperature, but it could slow down the spawn for a week or so.

Other species are much more susceptible to changes in water temperature. Female striped bass wait for the spawning trigger in Lake Powell which is usually a 10 degree rise in surface temperature on one day in May. Without that trigger they could wait another month.

Bass need warmer water so they wait until the temperature is right.

I think we are going to see warmer temperatures in April so most species will spawn on time.

Mooner

Thanks Wayne, our annual trip to Bullfrog in mid April should be a descent one. Let it keep snow and raining thru March and April.