Snake Bite

Ryan

No, it didn't happen at Lake Powell. But it did happen Sunday to a friend we were camping with. He reached under his trailer to pull up his wheel chock. No rattle. Didn't even see it. But the aftermath is certainly a rattler
bite.

He is currently in the hospital in Ft Collins. He has had 4 treatments of anti venom (was quoted $30,000 for one dose at the small hospital in Wheatland, WY) and will spend today and the next few days in ICU.
7C0C586C-1242-4FE0-970C-B42DB703C04B_1_201_a.jpeg es me like them even less. I'll be even more cautious when on shore at Powell in the future.

Meatwagon

No, it didn't happen at Lake Powell. But it did happen Sunday to a friend we were camping with. He reached under his trailer to pull up his wheel chock. No rattle. Didn't even see it. But the aftermath is certainly a rattler
bite.

He is currently in the hospital in Ft Collins. He has had 4 treatments of anti venom (was quoted $30,000 for one dose at the small hospital in Wheatland, WY) and will spend today and the next few days in ICU.
View attachment 9575 es me like them even less. I'll be even more cautious when on shore at Powell in the future.
Hope he doesn't loose it.

Cliff

The long dark lines are the timing marks for the progression of the swelling
I think I'll be a little more careful pulling out my chocks from now on also!
Almost stepped on two sidewinders in one day a few years ago near Yuma. Missed them by inches. Didn't get hit by either.
Walking the shoreline in flip-flops? Hmmmm

TR.

Bummer, sorry to hear. VERY expensive to treat. Mexico uses the same drug only it costs about a hundred bucks a dose. Crazy. When we were out at the lake last month a snake swam out and got on our friends boat. Not a rattler. They were surprised at how fast it swam out and climbed in. Best wishes to your buddy.

TR

jimco

Buddy of mine killed a small rattler on the north end of Glendo this past spring. Saw one at Grayrocks in June when walking to the outhouse, but it and I took off in different directions. Seems I didn't need the facilities after all! Hope this turns out OK for your friend. Where did this happen?

Peto

We had a rattler on a small beach / rubble pile in the middle of Reflection once. No clue how it got there since it was so far from any land to speak of .. We assumed it was washed over the cliff in a storm.

RatherBeFishing1

When the lake was first filling, we picked an island to camp on. In gathering fuel for a fire we collectively counted 11 rattlesnakes and a king snake. My uncle was a biology/zoology professor at Snow College. He took the king snake to school where it lived on display for several years. Needless to say, we packed up and found a different camp site.

Ryan

He was released from ICU today, now in a "regular" room. Surgeon is still waiting for the swelling to go down before they proceed. I think they have done more than 4 treatments now, but I'm not 100% on that.

Jimbo

There are other threads regarding snake bites. If I recall, insurance does not cover snake bites.
Can anyone confirm?

BZeg

We saw a small rattlesnake two weekends ago hiding in the shade of a boulder pile about 5 feet from the shoreline in a small cove in Dry Rock Creek. It hissed at my wife and dog when they got close to it. We got the heck out of there. He was so camouflaged, he was really hard to see. Not aggressive at all. He just wanted his shade and to be left alone. Doing a web search, he looked like a Midget Faded Rattlesnake.