Smallmouth bass caught in Lake Havasu sets Arizona state record

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Fishing' started by Waterbaby, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Waterbaby

Waterbaby Administrator Staff Member

Doesn't look like Quagga in Havasu have hurt the Smallmouth bass fishing.....

Smallmouth bass caught in Lake Havasu sets Arizona state record

• By BRANDON MESSICK Today’s News-Herald
    • Feb 24, 2017 Updated 10 hrs ago

The fish was 6.28 lb, 21 inches long and 17.25 inches wide – Or, as Havasu resident Sue Nowak will inevitably tell the story, with a sweeping gesture for emphasis: “it was this big.”

Nowak on Thursday caught a record smallmouth bass on Lake Havasu, breaking the previous Arizona record held by Justin Kerr – also of Havasu.

Photos: Big fish caught in Lake Havasu

Smallmouth bass aren’t the only record fish to be caught in Havasu’s waters. The lake produced a redear sunfish, caught in 2014, which maintains a world record, as well as state records for black crappie, razorback suckerfish and one 42-pound carp. Havasu anglers have plenty of “big fish” stories, and Arizona Game and Fish biologist Russ Engel expects more to follow.

“Havasu fishing is getting better,” Engel said. “It’s become very good in the past few years as a fishery. The fisheries improvement program has made a big difference. The number of shad are making a comeback as well – when those small baitfish numbers go up, every fish in the lake does well.”

Since 2002, AZGF has collaborated with the BLM, Anglers United, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Geological Survey and the Lake Havasu Marine Association to install more than 875 acres of artificial habitat in Lake Havasu, providing nesting grounds for Havasu’s smaller fish populations.

“Havasu is one of the top bass fisheries in the country,” said Marine Association President Jim Salscheider. “It’s a testament to the fisheries program – it’s been a huge success.”

According to Salscheider, Havasu is one of few lakes to maintain an almost equal population of smallmouth and largemouth bass, and Havasu’s fishing community has seen some big ones.

“They really fight, but they’re out there,” Salscheider said. “You just have to be good enough to catch them.”

Nowak’s catch was recorded at Havasu’s Bass Tackle Master Shop, at 260 London Bridge Road. Store owner and long-time angler John Galbraith sent proof of the catch to AZGFD Friday morning.
    Bill Sampson likes this.
  2. Bailer

Bailer Active Member

They've done a fantastic job installing habitat structure all over that lake. It's made a huge difference in the lm and sm fishing. If only Powell stayed at the same constant level and we could do the same thing...
    Bill Sampson likes this.
  3. Edward Gerdemann

Edward Gerdemann Well-Known Member

That may be a Colorado River record, but it's not an Arizona state record for smallmouth. The record smallmouth weighed over seven pounds and was caught in March, 1988 out of Roosevelt Lake. That Havasu fish still a nice smallmouth. I wish we were catching them that size out of Powell. I suspect they are in Powell, but we just haven't figured out how to catch them here. I think Havasu may become one of the really good big smallmouth lakes in North America. I suspect this lake record might not stand long. :)

Ed Gerdemann
    Bill Sampson likes this.
  4. wayne gustaveson

wayne gustaveson Administrator Staff Member

The stable water level does a great job of allowing brush to grow around the shoreline and that provides great habitat for young bass each year. That is the main reason that the bass population remains solid.
    Bill Sampson likes this.
  5. Bailer

Bailer Active Member

Fishing got tough there for years. Then two things changed, 1: they installed a crap load of artificial habitat. 2: a lot more grass started growing in most coves.

This article matches up with what I've seen over the years.
  6. wayne gustaveson

wayne gustaveson Administrator Staff Member

Great article on the rejuvenation of Lake Havasu. That really helps to know the details of how the lake was renovated. I hope the warm water temperature continues to have a hard impact on Quagga Mussels and prevents them from tipping over the fishery. So far - so good.
    Bill Sampson and Dungee Fishing like this.
  7. Waterbaby

Waterbaby Administrator Staff Member

They actually have to mow the underwater grass around the Windsor Beach Marina each summer, the grass gets wrapped around the boat props. Somewhere on my computer I have picks of the large amount of grass they bring out, it is transported somewhere else and turned into mulch.
    Bill Sampson likes this.