Smallies for dinner

K&M

This isn't as much a recipe, but if one is wondering how it is to cook up some smallies, if done right, you cannot tell them from walleye! I just use any interesting white fish recipe--say for halibut even. The trick is to soak the fish in milk (you can use salt solution, but I like the milk soak better). With the lake being overtaken by smallies, maybe if we kept more and ate them, it would help the problem. We just had some almond encrusted smallies a couple of nights ago and will certainly start harvesting more!

K&M

Ah, Wayne, as usual, you are right! I have used buttermilk and agree, just forgot! I must need to cook up more fish so I won't forget...

Ryan

Lol. Now the lake is being “overrun by smallies“ and it is a “problem”.

Eat the SMB if you want. But I’ll never agree with either of the above statements.

fisheye

I have never had a problem with fresh caught smallmouth fillets tasting to strong, same for fresh striper with the bloodline trimmed? It's the frozen ones I have brought home that became to strong for my pallet. Do you think the buttermilk soak would work for those?