• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Shore fishing in March?

AzTacoma

I'll be spending a few days at Wahweap the second week of March. Not really a fishing trip, but of course I'll be sneaking down to try some shore fishing around there a few hours here and there. Is there any hope, or are they all still too deep? Best suggestions?

Jwc

I'll be spending a few days at Wahweap the second week of March. Not really a fishing trip, but of course I'll be sneaking down to try some shore fishing around there a few hours here and there. Is there any hope, or are they all still too deep? Best suggestions?
Well i fish the north lake so I don’t know any specific water, but if I was going to be fishing right now, without electronics, from shore, I would find a point or several with some good chunky rock or big gravel , or a steepish 45 degree bank , and throw a suspending jerkbait , and fish it slow back, 3 Second pauses . That’s my go to for water under 50 degrees for just about all species.. lots of other things work. But for me the jerkbait is king in cold water . And bass will move a long way in clear water to eat it,, sometimes. If it gets warm and the fish area acting more prespawn then a lot of things are better. But under 50 degrees a suspending jerkbait is king .. try a smith wick rogue elite 8 or a lucky craft pointer 100, regular or deep diver, in a translucent or natural color, or clown color if it’s overcast.. it’s a real good way to catch a big one too .. it’s always worth as many casts as you can get in!! Good luck

fishfry

Just pick a nice day- We found stripers in the shallows last week- as JWC said use a jerkbait with pauses and slow retrieves although in the afternoon when it warmed up it seemed it fired everything up and we were catching stripers with a regular retrieve. All of the other species we caught required a slow presentation and it was a real subtle bite. All were in really good condition. Its just going to get better!

coachk

I have fished on foot for many years in the early 2000's and not down south but I would think much of the tactics would be the same. We use curly tails mostly Yammamoto's in various greens/browns but most recently the smoke with silver flake work best. Find any cut and point and fish them slowly. We use 1/4 oz jigs heads. Also tube jigs have worked great for us over the years off the bank. The key to me is finding points and fishing either side of them out to as deep as you can cast.