Shad report

Status
Not open for further replies.

TR.

Escalante-Class Member
Fished the rincon and iceberg a little this weekend. Slow, but a few nice smallies. I am not very skilled with plastic stuff but I did catch a few nice ones on a watermelon grub with a jig head. Lake was busier than expected. Surprise of the trip for me was a gizzard shad. First cast from camp in the back of iceberg. Thought it was a striper as it came right up and hit my fly. Missed the first time with a bump, went down and came back up and took it. It fought really hard and I thought it was a striper at first. I could hardly believe it when I got it up. Huge gizzard shad. My wife was paddle boarding and I called her over to help me get a picture but the wind started gusting hard and by the time she got to the boat I was drifting into the trees and my dog was trying to eat the fish after it flopped off my boga into the boat. I did get it measured and weighed though. 18.5 inches and 4lbs on the dot. I tried to get some pics but did not do a good job. It ate a micro clouser with bead chain eyes. BTW Those things are slimy as heck, and if it was not for wanting to measure it I would not have touched it. Can't figure pics yet but if I do I will throw up what I have. Anyway, I saw temps about 67-68 and did not really fish hard but it was a great two days. So no striper activity at all. Flyramsey nice to meet you, hope you killed it.

Hey TR! Thanks for the goodies, wish I could say we crushed it but it was painfully slow other than the 15th which we had luck in the am. Nice meeting you as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back