San Juan this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Allan

I'm headed for the San Juan this Wednesday-Saturday. Looks like we will have some wind on Thursday. That may be a good day to troll for stripers. We are hoping the lmb, walleyes, and smallies are biting. Can anyone give me a report that may have been there this past weekend?
Regards,
Ty

I have had several customers say the walleyes are starting to hit, but still a little slow. No details as to where exactly they went on the lake or what they used. But the last guy I talked to said he caught 12 on an overnight trip. I'm sure it was Northern Lake.

Thanks Dave! We will be taking some night crawlers and spend some time looking for them in the mornings and evenings!

Good to hear! I hope you have a great trip with lots of success. We are waiting for the water temps to get to consistently above 60 then we will heade down to the Juan for a week. Maybe sometime between the last week of April - 2nd week of May? Whenever the temp and weather look best! We will be anxiously waiting to hear your report / see pics. Good luck!

We will also be headed for our second trip to the San Juan May 1-5th. I will be in a Trophy Bayliner, white with gray bottom. Come say hi if you happen to be there that week.
Thanks for the report Wayne. We will keep a wacky rig close by. We have done well in past years with both double and single tail grubs, tubes, and beaver type baits. Spinner baits on certain days are fun to throw as well!

I'm headed for the San Juan this Wednesday-Saturday. Looks like we will have some wind on Thursday. That may be a good day to troll for stripers. We are hoping the lmb, walleyes, and smallies are biting. Can anyone give me a report that may have been there this past weekend?
Regards,
Ty
Looking forward to your report. Leave some big ones for me. Upper San Juan may 18th--25th, I can't wait! Hoping weather cooperates, can't change trip cause we'll be in a rental houseboat.

I was up the San Juan this past weekend. Got in Friday afternoon and stayed through Sunday morning. Survived the big rain storm Saturday night and we found the fishing Sunday morning just how we had left it Saturday afternoon before the storm... on fire! 2 of us pounded the banks throwing plastics and cranks and caught 125 in 17 hours of fishing. 90% smallies (much healthier and across the board bigger than years past) with a few largemouth, crappie and incidental stripers. No Walleye. While we didn't connect on any really big fish we were both impressed at the improved average quality from years past. Stained water fished much better than clear and we caught fish in every zone from 1' of water to much deeper. We had a little battery trouble so I did not have any of my electronics working to report on water temp. Good luck and be sure give us a report when you return. I can't wait to go back.

Were are planning our trip April 28 to May 5 for the San Juan. Hope my WW Flags are done by then.

Thanks for the report. Last year was a little slower year. Still averaged about 80 smb, 8 crappie and 2 eyes a day with two fishermen.

Were are planning our trip April 28 to May 5 for the San Juan. Hope my WW Flags are done by then.

Thanks for the report. Last year was a little slower year. Still averaged about 80 smb, 8 crappie and 2 eyes a day with two fishermen.
We will be there that same time. But I don't think we will venture that far from Bullfrog.

I was up the San Juan this past weekend. Got in Friday afternoon and stayed through Sunday morning. Survived the big rain storm Saturday night and we found the fishing Sunday morning just how we had left it Saturday afternoon before the storm... on fire! 2 of us pounded the banks throwing plastics and cranks and caught 125 in 17 hours of fishing. 90% smallies (much healthier and across the board bigger than years past) with a few largemouth, crappie and incidental stripers. No Walleye. While we didn't connect on any really big fish we were both impressed at the improved average quality from years past. Stained water fished much better than clear and we caught fish in every zone from 1' of water to much deeper. We had a little battery trouble so I did not have any of my electronics working to report on water temp. Good luck and be sure give us a report when you return. I can't wait to go back.

The Small Mouth Bass limit is 20. If you got caught with 90+ onboard between two fishermen what would a ranger do?

The Small Mouth Bass limit is 20. If you got caught with 90+ onboard between two fishermen what would a ranger do?
With two fisherman. We will catch 100smb a day but we keep only about 30 and try to stay in the slot limit even though there is no slot limit on LP. Crappie we keep about 8 to 10 and if we find a nice honey hole we only keep a few from the honey hole. LMB weigh take a picture and are all released alive. Stripers are kept and the skinny ones are given CBPR and added back to the food chain. After cleaning the eggs and livers are fed to the catfish off the back of the house boat and the carcass are returned to the food chain in 100+ FOW. This is the way we fly. No need to worry about rangers if your legal.

In his post you are quoting he says 90 PERCENT of the 125 fish caught were smallies (which would actually be more than 90 smallies) He never said they kept 90 smallies. I think you misunderstood the post.

In his post you are quoting he says 90 PERCENT of the 125 fish caught were smallies (which would actually be more than 90 smallies) He never said they kept 90 smallies. I think you misunderstood the post.

Yes. A misunderstanding ;)

I’m not great with math which is why I said “90+” knowing it’s somewhere north of there!

I was shocked at the numbers this time of year and wondered what would happen if you kept that many.

I have no risk of ever breaking the law because I’ve never caught more than 10 fish on any given day (myself).

That said, let’s say a Ranger does audit you:

How many fish can I have in the cooler at one time if I’m by myself or with my wife?

Is it 20 per day, or 20 per boat no matter the period?

Thanks guys... didn’t mean to poke my nose in others bizznizz... it was more a question out of curiosity because I’ve yet to fully grasp how the rules are applied in a real world situation.

Yes. A misunderstanding ;)

I’m not great with math which is why I said “90+” knowing it’s somewhere north of there!

I was shocked at the numbers this time of year and wondered what would happen if you kept that many.

I have no risk of ever breaking the law because I’ve never caught more than 10 fish on any given day (myself).

How many fish can I have in the cooler at one time if I’m by myself or with my wife?

Thanks guys... didn’t mean to poke my nose in others bizznizz... it was more a question out of curiosity because I’ve yet to fully grasp how the rules are applied in a real world situation.

You could have 20 on you (in the cooler) if by yourself, 40 if you’re wife was with you. Possessions are by person.

If have any questions, I would read the regulations! Limits are per person, Utah allows you to have 2 daily limits in your possession while in transport.....

Thanks guys. Makes sense.

I’d like to have this problem!

Let’s hope someday soon I have to decide to throw back 50+ fish! ;)

But I’ll get a pic of every single one to prove it, or just do what Dungee does and run the GoPro and edit the snapshots later into one long fish-fest.

Honestly I wouldn’t keep that many Striper. I like the flavor and aroma of the SMB and LMB considerably more.

The Stripers seem to be pungent and they get smelly faster since I don’t have a Livewell (we immediately put them in a cooler and cover them with ice).

Or is that my imagination?

Thanks guys. Makes sense.

I’d like to have this problem!

Let’s hope someday soon I have to decide to throw back 50+ fish! ;)

But I’ll get a pic of every single one to prove it, or just do what Dungee does and run the GoPro and edit the snapshots later into one long fish-fest.

Honestly I wouldn’t keep that many Striper. I like the flavor and aroma of the SMB and LMB considerably more.

The Stripers seem to be pungent and they get smelly faster since I don’t have a Livewell (we immediately put them in a cooler and cover them with ice).

Or is that my imagination?

Any Stripers you don’t plan on keeping puncture those bad boys and send them to the bottom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back