• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

San Juan next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnpull

Its looking like next week may be the week to do our annual san Juan trip. Weather is looking great. Time it with the spawn. Everything is looking good. Except for the fact that I'm currently in moab and have been for the past week. We get home tomorrow and I'd have to repack and leave in about 24 hours. Not to mention I have some work on my website I need to do and tie some loose ends with the business! Ugh......but maybe I camp within eyesight of Navajo mtn and take my laptop and update my website with a hotspot connection via my phone. Hmmmm..... quick, somebody talk some sense into me before I do something irrational.

TR.

Yeah work rocks, why would you want to mess that up with a trip to the lake? I know a guy that was wishing he had taken less vacation and worked much harder on his death bed..... Make sure to give us a report when you get back.

TR

birdsnest

Escalante-Class Member
Dorado,Hopefully the wind has blown itself out. The timing looks pretty good to me but it always does. We would like everyone to avoid SJ, just for another 3 1/2 weeks cause that's when we go. I'm sure that your business would appreciate more of your time.... Are you kidding, get out of there. Thanks again TR.

Last edited:

Pegasus

I can definitely confirm the hotspot idea works great if you have Verizon - I've done it several times in the past from the San Juan - better service than anywhere down lake. I'd say be irrational and go!

mtnpull

I can definitely confirm the hotspot idea works great if you have Verizon - I've done it several times in the past from the San Juan - better service than anywhere down lake. I'd say be irrational and go!
Haha. Yeah, last year I watched jazz playoff games from the san Juan. This time maybe work and jazz games. Still need to convince the wife and my employees who will be picking up my slack while I'm gone.

mtnpull

Well, it's a done deal. Headed to church with the family, then gonna load up and head down to the pond. We should be out on the Juan by mid dayish on Monday! We'll be in a silver / black crestiliner sportfish 2150 with a verado 300. It will be my self and my 3 boys 14, 12 and 10. Stop by and say hi if you are in the area! We will be watching Jazz playoff games at camp if you need to join!

KYKevin

Escalante-Class Member
You must be a really big Jazz fan, when I get to the San Juan next week, all I'm going to be thinking about is catching up on fishing. And don't get me wrong, I love basketball, but come on Thursday. How long are you staying? I should get there Thursday, for a week, at least, or until we start cramping up, from to many cast.

mtnpull

Yes, I don't miss too many games. We will fish through Friday then pack up camp and head home Saturday.

mtnpull

Report from the lake! One of the best parts of our week so far has been meeting up with Tim and Wes....fellow wordlings. We met them last year out of bullfrog and this year they are camped just a few hundred yards from us. We spent the evening chatting and watching a disappointing jazz game. (They are big jazz fans too)

Now, on to the fishing! We did pick the perfect week for the trip. Last two days have been well over 100 fish a day! (I'd say today was closer to 200+) We've caught lmb , smb, crappie, walleye, stripers, catfish and sunfish / bluegill. Vast majority being smb. Last year this time we had similar luck but the biggest difference is the size and fight of the fish. The average smb caught is 12-15" and fight like mad! Bass are spawning and if the wind dies down long enough you can see them pretty easily. We are finding nests in 3-10' of water. Gravel with a shallower slope is common place but it seems many times the nests are just below (on the deep water side) a big rock....so if the wind is kicked up and you are in the right areas we just cast to the top of the rock and pull the bait over to have it aggressively snatched up. We are still finding non spawning bass in the big rock piles and they seem to be just as willing to hit our lures.
20180425_225850.jpg20180425_104809.jpg20180424_163913.jpg20180425_164811.jpg20180425_154459.jpgIMG_20180424_195905_591.jpg

mtnpull

Great pictures, report, and spending time with your boys. Awesome!
Thanks Wayne! Is that your boys out here dropping nets or is that the feds? They are camped just around the corner from us.

On another note, the mussels are a real bugger. I can't believe how many lures (most jig types?) I've lost being cut by a mussel. Then both me and one of my boys got cut while taking a dip just out of camp. The impact those little dudes make is pretty broad.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Thanks Wayne! Is that your boys out here dropping nets or is that the feds? They are camped just around the corner from us.

On another note, the mussels are a real bugger. I can't believe how many lures (most jig types?) I've lost being cut by a mussel. Then both me and one of my boys got cut while taking a dip just out of camp. The impact those little dudes make is pretty broad.

Nets are not ours. we wont be up there until May 7-9th. Looking forward to it.

PowellBride

Staff member
Its looking like next week may be the week to do our annual san Juan trip. Weather is looking great. Time it with the spawn. Everything is looking good. Except for the fact that I'm currently in moab and have been for the past week. We get home tomorrow and I'd have to repack and leave in about 24 hours. Not to mention I have some work on my website I need to do and tie some loose ends with the business! Ugh......but maybe I camp within eyesight of Navajo mtn and take my laptop and update my website with a hotspot connection via my phone. Hmmmm..... quick, somebody talk some sense into me before I do something irrational.
We have had success with the Verizon Hotspot on the SJ, but its definitely location specific. You don't always have to have a visual on Navajo, and sometimes we get better service in places where we don't see it, than when we do. You just have to test it when you get there

mtnpull

I've seen on the forum many questions about crawfish and how much are in Powell and how some have set out traps to only find them empty. Well I'll tell you, they are alive and well in Powell. During our lunch break today, my boys caught 26 in about an hour by turning over rocks and found them hiding under them.
20180427_150824.jpg
20180427_191549.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.