San Juan - Labor Day Weekend

russellweight

Sorry for the long report, but what can I say! It was awesome and I’ve just got a lot to say!

Well we just got back from our annual Labor Day – Lake Powell fishing trip to the San Juan. We were hoping for some awesome top water bass action and this year did not disappoint!!!

This year we were lucky enough to be joined by my brother in-law in my boat, and my father who also brought his bass boat and my 14 year old son joined him for the majority of the trip. We arrived at the Stateline launch our two boats around 4PM Friday afternoon and headed straight up lake to the San Juan. We arrived in Neskahi bay just as it got dark and we setup camp. The weather was very calm all weekend and the fishing was awesome with little to no boat traffic and no one else fishing. We had the place to ourselves! We were mainly targeting SM / LM, but weren’t going to pass up the opportunity for a striper boil if we saw one.

Day 1 (Saturday): We were up at first light hitting the eastern bank with our top water lures. Fishing was ON! Smallie after smallie mixed in with a few LM here and there were smashing and tossing our lures left and right. As the morning went on and the sun got higher in the sky we slowly switched over to jigs and kept pulling them in! The fishing was hot and we didn’t quit until lunch time. We then went back to camp and compared boat numbers (our fish count). We had 3 of us (My wife, my Bro-in-law and myself) on our boat and my dad had himself and my son on his boat. To my surprise my dad had decided to teach our 14 year old to run the front trolling motor. I was so proud to hear how my son Brayden was not only bringing in the fish left and right, but was also running the boat at the same time! 😁 And to top it off, their numbers (per person) were neck in neck with ours! (BTW we take these numbers very seriously on these trips! LOL. We actually keep a little golf clicker on each boat so we don’t lose count throughout the day.)

We ate some lunch and were back out fishing around 1:30pm. At this point in the afternoon (as it did each day) the bite slowed and we only pulled in one here and there. Finally as the sun started to go down the bite was back on and so was the top water action. This first day we set a new PB for a single day fish count at Lake Powell with a staggering 200 fish in our boat!!! We actually had to stay on the water a little later than we should have because we were so close to that 200 mark that we had to kept fishing almost to complete dark to find those last two fish! LOL And to top it off, my Son and my father pulled in an amazing 98 on their boat by themselves!

Day 2 (Sunday): Again we were up at first light. This morning my wife decided to trade places with my son and go in my dad’s boat for the morning. They headed off to a new area that we hadn’t fished the day before. We on the other hand decided to try to make a repeat of the previous morning and hit the same shoreline as before. We pulled up to our spot and my son and brother in-law both threw in hoping to claim the first fish of the morning and the race was on! LOL They both got a hit on their first cast and speed reeled in their prize. 😁 After that however we were a little disappointed to find the bite a little slower than the morning before. Around 10am we met up with my father and my wife to find that the two of them were kicking our butt’s numbers wise! We had our work cut out for us, so we went to find some new water. At lunch time when we regrouped we were neck and neck at around 60 fish per boat. We ate lunch, swam to beat the heat and egged each other on about how we did that morning. We were back on the water around 12:30 that afternoon. My son went back to run my dad’s boat and my wife came back to help us make up for our low morning numbers. ;) Again there wasn’t much of an afternoon bite as was with the day before. So I decided to switch to a spinnerbait and target long underwater points and rock piles. We were lucky and found a handful of willing SM and LM at each spot. Wow! Those SM hit a spinnerbait like a ton of bricks! Stopping it cold and trying to haul it back the other way! LOL It sure was fun trying to horse them back to our boat. Later when the sun started to set the evening bite was back on along with the topwater action until dark!

Our numbers for the second day were 138 for the 3 of us in our boat and 112 for the two of them in my dad’s boat. It was another amazing day!

Day 3 (Monday): We were up super early this morning, because I wanted to get most of our camp cleaned up before the morning bite so we wouldn’t have to do it in the middle of the day. We got everything done very quickly, and were out on the water before first light. This morning my dad and son decided to head back to their shoreline from the first day and we decided to hit some new shoreline to the south of them. It was very cool putting across the calm water just as the sky started to break. What a beautiful morning! We were pleased to find larger fish here on almost every point and rocky structure that we hit. This morning the topwater bite was on until much later as the sky was very hazy due to the wildfire in CA. My brother in-law even hooked into his very first double (two fish one lure), but lost one of the two right as he was swinging into the boat. Around 9:30 this morning we saw our first and only small boil of the trip. We cast at it and bam there was a striper. We quickly were all hooked up and pulling them in. We just threw them on the floor of the boat and kept casting. What a blast, and then to top it off my wife hooked into a double striper (two fish) and somehow was able to pull both of them back into the boat. Wow, what a fight! LOL We had to pull out the net for that one! Shortly after that with our livewells full we called it a day. What a morning!!! We ended up with 133 fish in our boat and my son and father who left a little earlier than us ended up with 51.

What an amazing trip!!! No problems at all. The weather was beautiful! Almost no wind at all the entire weekend. When it got too hot we just jumped in and cooled off immediately. It was amazing and to top it off, we got to share this experience with my family!

Top Lures for the trip:
Whopper Plopper! - Caught 75% or more of our fish!
Tube Jigs
Ned Rig
Spinner Bait

Thank you again Wayne for all that you do!
We can’t wait to get back to Lake Powell!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

russellweight

Well if it’s anything like this past weekend, you’ll have it all to yourself!

Yes, this is a hard core fishing trip! ;)Hopefully we can get back up there in the next few weeks!
Have fun and stay safe!

cfulton

Russel,
Did you fish in the river channel above the big bay with Neskahi? If so, how far up (to what depth) did you go? Chuck

russellweight

Russel,
Did you fish in the river channel above the big bay with Neskahi? If so, how far up (to what depth) did you go? Chuck
We stayed in the main bay this trip. We have tried to fish up in the river in years past without much success due to lots of debris in the water. But those were always spring time trips. Maybe this time of year would be better?