San Juan Fishing Advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlong17

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum, but I have enjoyed reading reports on here over the years. I live in California (please don't hate me), and I make the trip out to Lake Powell each year for a house boating trip out of Bullfrog, up to the San Juan River Arm. It seems that I always pack FAR more fishing gear than I use, and I am trying to avoid that problem this year. If anyone has pointers/advice for successful fishing in the Piute Bay area for this time of year, I would be very grateful!! Thank you so much for reading, and I look forward to your replies.

I would like to have surface lures, mid depth trolling lures and spoons while heading to the San Juan. I like boils best so I would have a topwater, rattletrap and spoon for stripers. Bass fishing is great in Piute bay so choose your own plastic baits for smallmouth. The Yamamoto senko has worked well all year but if that slows down in the summer then go with single tail grubs in green or pumpkin. The Yamamoto D-Shad has been working well in boils and for bass. With those basic lures you can survive.

Awesome, thank you so much for the advice! And if anyone happens to see a guy fishing from a paddle board in the general area, try not not knock me off :)

Awesome, thank you so much for the advice! And if anyone happens to see a guy fishing from a paddle board in the general area, try not not knock me off :)
You would probably want to stop a bit short of a full fledged boil on the board. The aggressive fish might want to take a big bite out of the board and tip you over.

You would probably want to stop a bit short of a full fledged boil on the board. The aggressive fish might want to take a big bite out of the board and tip you over.
HAHA!! Ya, last year I paddled literally right through a boil and had both rods hooked up with fish!!

I have not had time to write a report yet but i found out last week that if you know where you can find a bench that you camped on over the last couple years that is now 15 ft underwater it is a Mecca for green bass. Syncline, deep etc all had these. The point in Cha with the reef we renamed destruction point. Plenty of tammies and other growth now submerged are chock full of fish. If we didn't catch one on more than two casts we checked to make sure there was still a hook attached. I am a little pressed for time now but will write a report when I can.

TR

From california and on a paddle board, you've got a bullseye on you.
HA, no doubt! I won't deny a ride in someones boat if they're in the area!! We just sold our Ranger Comanche bass boat a few years ago, I just wasn't fishing as many tourneys out here anymore (low water levels). I miss that boat all the time... sigh. The paddle board will have to do

HA, no doubt! I won't deny a ride in someones boat if they're in the area!! We just sold our Ranger Comanche bass boat a few years ago, I just wasn't fishing as many tourneys out here anymore (low water levels). I miss that boat all the time... sigh. The paddle board will have to do
Wow, gave up a ranger for a paddle board:confused:. The only reason I can think of to sell my boat, would be to get a better boat :D

Wow, gave up a ranger for a paddle board:confused:. The only reason I can think of to sell my boat, would be to get a better boat :D
ideally, yes... but when you live in a state that taxes you out of existence, options are limited :( On a positive note, I still have more fishing gear than a man can dream of... and I hope to come back with far less soft plastics than I take out

ideally, yes... but when you live in a state that taxes you out of existence, options are limited :( On a positive note, I still have more fishing gear than a man can dream of... and I hope to come back with far less soft plastics than I take out
Would that be the state that raised gas taxes(again), and then called the people who grumbled "free-loaders"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back