• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Returning Rapids Project Presentation 2/18/2021 with Mike DeHoff

JFRCalifornia

More on Chinampa: Raised Field Agriculture in the Americas

Chinampas: Highly Productive and Ecologically Sound Ancient Farms
Interesting idea. Seems best suited for small-scale local farming efforts, something the Anasazi might have done successfully if they had a canyon full of silt... or even a something geomorphically a little like you see today at Canyon de Chelly, with ag fields down on the canyon floor. Possible future use if the future demographics are conducive to the idea...

JFRCalifornia

JFRCalifornia. Quick question. Has anyone at anytime ever considered building a marina down by Red canyon or in the Good Hope Bar area? My guess is they didn't because of the remoteness off the hwy 95. Also I suppose the proximity to Bullfrog and maybe issues with the landscape and the like. But with the siltation issue it would seem like a plausible location for a northern end "outpost". Just a thought.
Jay--I had not heard anyone ever talk abut that idea, and I'd guess one of the big reasons would be the cost of constructing the roads to handle any sort of traffic, and as you point out, it's really not that far to either Bullfrog or Halls, so its added utility would be marginal. Plus, that quiet corner of the lake would not ever be quite so quiet again.

As for the remoteness to Highway 95, well that's true, but really Halls is pretty remote from 95 too, although before Lake Powell that eastern leg of 276 east of Halls was an existing county road that for much of its length didn't need a whole lot of improvement to get to Halls. By the way, that road to Halls used to be called 263 after it was originally designated as a state highway in 1969, but it became 276 in 1985 once ferry service to Bullfrog started then, so it could be consistent with the 276 on the Bullfrog side...

jayfromtexas

Jay--I had not heard anyone ever talk abut that idea, and I'd guess one of the big reasons would be the cost of constructing the roads to handle any sort of traffic, and as you point out, it's really not that far to either Bullfrog or Halls, so its added utility would be marginal. Plus, that quiet corner of the lake would not ever be quite so quiet again.

As for the remoteness to Highway 95, well that's true, but really Halls is pretty remote from 95 too, although before Lake Powell that eastern leg of 276 east of Halls was an existing county road that for much of its length didn't need a whole lot of improvement to get to Halls. By the way, that road to Halls used to be called 263 after it was originally designated as a state highway in 1969, but it became 276 in 1985 once ferry service to Bullfrog started then, so it could be consistent with the 276 on the Bullfrog side...
Thanks for the answer. Kinda what I figured. In a way it's too bad since the north end will be somewhat underdeveloped just like the San Juan arm. But then again I love solitude and developing something there would wreck that for sure.
On Fort Moqui (Moki) I found the photos that Mike had in his presentation quite interesting and if you look closely they do seem to support the supposition that Fort Moki (Moqui) is unfortunately now buried under the silt of the Colorado Delta. (I've seen it Moqui/Moki spelled both ways in my web travels).