Question for Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrel

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
How big in weight or old in age do the threadfin and gizzard shad need to be able to spawn? Sq

How big in weight or old in age do the threadfin and gizzard shad need to be able to spawn? Sq

Threadfin spawn in their second year when about 3 inches long. They spawn in mid May around floating driftwood or shoreline brush.

Gizzard shad spawn at 2 yrs as well but at that age they are 6-9 inches long. They spawn in late April in the backs of the canyons.

Have you ever tried using a minnow trap & using them for bait? Also crawdads?

I have not used a trap. I use a 10 foot seine in shallow murky coves. They can also be caught under a floating night light by snagging them with a jigging spoon.

Crawdads are also hard to catch because they are so sought after by fish that they are always hiding under rocks. The best way to catch them is to turn over rocks at sunset.

I have caught a few thread fin in a minnow trap using a small submersible light inside the trap. They were nothing special as far as bait goes. Now I take night crawlers or use striper meat. It stays on your hook a lot better

Are the rubber/plastic crawdad jigs good? Never seen any mention on here about them ( I don't know much about warm water fishing)

I have tried to trap crawdads several times ,leaving the trap out overnight, but never caught anything.
I also use the crawdad imitations when the fishing is slow, mainly Berkley Crazy Legs Chigger Craws and Yamamoto Flappin Hogs.

Have you ever tried using a minnow trap & using them for bait? Also crawdads?
We use shad whenever we can get them, about 6ft behind a bottom bouncer. Try to hook them so they spin, takes practise but the beauty of using shad is they will catch striper, walleye, crappie or bass. We troll them at between 1 and 2 mph.

What are the regulations in Utah for using a minnow trap , in Colorado we have to have are c.i.d. number on a float with it when we sit it out.

What are the regulations in Utah for using a minnow trap , in Colorado we have to have are c.i.d. number on a float with it when we sit it out.

Bait Utah Admin. Rule R657-13-12 While you are fishing, it is unlawful to: •Use or possess live baitfish •Use or possess tiger salamanders

•Dead shad from Lake Powell may be used as bait only in Lake Powell. It is illegal to remove dead shad from the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. •Dead striped bass from Lake Powell may be used as bait or chum only in Lake Powell.

To take nonprohibited nongame fish, you may use angling, traps, archery, dipnets, cast nets, liftnets, seines or a handheld spear from above the surface of the water. You may use a crossbow only if you’re taking carp. When using these methods, please remember the following rules: •Seines (nets) may not exceed 10 feet in length or width. •Cast nets may not exceed 10 feet in diameter (a five-foot radius). •Nongame fish that are legal to take must either be released or killed immediately after you remove them from the water. You may not leave them on the shoreline.

Taking crayfish Utah Admin. Rule R657-13-15 Fishing for crayfish (also called crawdads) is a fun activity for the whole family. If you’re under the age of 12, you do not need a license to fish for crayfish. If you’re 12 years of age or older, you must have a valid Utah fishing or combination license to fish for crayfish. You may take crayfish for personal, noncommercial purposes at any body of water where there’s an open fishing season. You may not take crayfish if the fishing season at that water is closed. You may take crayfish by hand or with a trap, dipnet, liftnet, handline, pole or seine. You must also obey all of the following rules: •You may not use game fish or their parts for bait, or use any substance that is illegal for fishing. •Seines (nets) may not exceed 10 feet in length or width. •You may not use more than five lines, and only two of those lines can have hooks attached. (On the lines without hooks, simply tie your bait to the line so the crayfish can grasp the bait with its claw.) •You may not transport live crayfish away from the body of water where you captured them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back