Question about diesel fuel tanks

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
So, for the 2nd time in 3 years, my in in-tank fuel pump on my RAM failed. Happened on the way to Powell. The good was it didn't leave us stranded, happened in probably the best possible place, and was able to limp into Junction, and didn't strand me at the lake.

Dealer said that the fuel pumps are very reliable, and they don't know what is causing the problems.

On the way home, I ran the 60 gallon RDS auxiliary tank dry, and looked into it before filling it today. There is definitely contamination in the tank. I am wondering if this is normal (since I can't see into my OEM tank, I really have no idea what is in there), or if this could be the root problem of my fuel pumps taking a dump?

The aux tank is plumbed into the filler tube, drops into the main fuel tank. I am wondering if I should put in some sort of fuel filter to go between the aux tank and the OEM fuel tank? If so, which would be the best way to do it?

FWIW, I almost always fill at the same station (which I will now change), and am good about changing my fuel filter every other oil change.

Thoughts?

VikingRanch

You can get strainer bags for Moto tanks, capture more of the particulate on the way in, to protect filters and pump. Changing your supply is always a good choice. I went through 3 fuel filters in 500 mi after a “wet” fill up at a gas station in the white mountains. You change your fuel filter WAY more than most, so I would be suspicious of your supply.

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
I went to a diesel performance shop today. They recommended a simple 1/4" inline fuel filter between the tanks. Recommended the clear type so I can see when its dirty. Change every 100 gallons until I get a better handle on things. Picked up one up from Napa today, will install this evening.

JakeInVegas

I have an old 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 liter Cummins. We installed a fuel pressure gauge between the filter and the injector pump so I can monitor my fuel pressure at all times. They are fairly inexpensive and if you start to see fuel pressure dropping then you will have an early warning system prior to failure.

CATD8RII

I went to a diesel performance shop today. They recommended a simple 1/4" inline fuel filter between the tanks. Recommended the clear type so I can see when its dirty. Change every 100 gallons until I get a better handle on things. Picked up one up from Napa today, will install this evening.
You know, while those are really cool, they have replaceable elements and all. But they screw together sandwiching the glass between the two ends with orings sealing the ends. I have tried to use these several tes because I really liked the concept. I always seems to get leaks after a seemingly short while. Seems like the orings sink a little and then it starts leaking. Or the glass gets cracked either from contact or over tightening. Check it frequently. 100 gallons of fuel makes a heck of a mess!!

Dworwood

Escalante-Class Member
If this filter gives you problems get a screw on filter housing similar to your oil filter, those last and have very few problems and will handle a lot of fuel before plugging. You just change the filter like you do with the oil filter, just a different part number, it looks just like an oil filter.They are not too expensive either. I can get you a part number if or when you ever need one.

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
If this filter gives you problems get a screw on filter housing similar to your oil filter, those last and have very few problems and will handle a lot of fuel before plugging. You just change the filter like you do with the oil filter, just a different part number, it looks just like an oil filter.They are not too expensive either. I can get you a part number if or when you ever need one.
Would that work with gravity feed?

CATD8RII

Yes I agree for a transfer tank. For the auxiliary fuel tank there is a 1/4 " fitting at the bottom of the tank to gravity feed into the vehicles main fuel tank. So you almost have to have an inline fuel filter because of the space. Not necessarily the one with the clear glass but an inline.

CATD8RII

Have you checked the seal on your fill cap Ryan? Or maybe the fill cap itself? Sometimes the self vented caps will cause you grief!! Either vacuum lock or letting particulates into the tank. Or if your tank has a separate breather instead of the one in the cap, check that. It might have a filter in it that has to be cleaned or replaced. A lot of those are just a one piece unit that just threads into the top of the tank.

Dworwood

Escalante-Class Member
Would that work with gravity feed?
Good point, mine have transfer pumps, I would guess your diesel shop may have the best solution. Many of the guys around here use a transfer tank and use the fuel in other things as well as their truck. It may not work with what you have, sorry I may have steered you wrong. But I would be interested in how it turns out and the best solution you end up with. Good luck and I hope it resolves your issue! Keep us posted in the future.

Littlesaltwash

I am in the process of plumbing in a 35 gal aux tank where my spare tire sat between the frame rails. I am using a switch and pump and will have it running to the main filler tube and tank like Ryan. It sounds like the screw on filter attached somewhere in between would be the way to go for capacity and ease. I would like the part number and a little bit more info of how you plumbed it in. Thanks

The Oracle

Just like you can't have too much ground with electricity, I don't think you can have too much filtration with fuel. We all have things that make us sleep better at night... for me I use that Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant stuff in all internal combustion engines.... founded or not. Good luck

CATD8RII

I am in the process of plumbing in a 35 gal aux tank where my spare tire sat between the frame rails. I am using a switch and pump and will have it running to the main filler tube and tank like Ryan. It sounds like the screw on filter attached somewhere in between would be the way to go for capacity and ease. I would like the part number and a little bit more info of how you plumbed it in. Thanks
Go on places like Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, maybe even Harbor Freight. I've purchased the ones from Northern Tool. Good selection. They have the base and a selection of spin on filters. Filters with water separation, different micron filters.
That fill tube fitting has a ball in it to stop the flow when it fills up with the gravity feed. I'm not sure how it will react with pump pressure behind it. You might want to research that.

Ryan

Escalante-Class Member
Just an update. I’ve added a inline fuel filter between the aux tank and the regular filler liner.

I also added a filter on the aux tank overflow tube since they are inexpensive and it seems like the contamination could possibly be coming from that?

The one issue I had is that the one time I left the manual valve open from the aux tank, it did over fill the main tank, probably lost a couple cups of fuel before I saw that. Any idea why that would happen?

Im still considering a spin on type fuel filter but not 100% convinced that it will work with a gravity feed.

These are the filters I’m using now. Filter

CATD8RII

Just an update. I’ve added a inline fuel filter between the aux tank and the regular filler liner.

I also added a filter on the aux tank overflow tube since they are inexpensive and it seems like the contamination could possibly be coming from that?

The one issue I had is that the one time I left the manual valve open from the aux tank, it did over fill the main tank, probably lost a couple cups of fuel before I saw that. Any idea why that would happen?

Im still considering a spin on type fuel filter but not 100% convinced that it will work with a gravity feed.

These are the filters I’m using now. Filter
I have read about this problem before. Most of the fixes were to clock that valve at 11 o clock, not straight up and down. This is just what I read. I think that thread I read was here on WW.

Leardriver

Ryan, to sidetrack a little bit,

How do you like that 60 gallon tank? I just got a 22 F350 long bed with a 48 gallon tank, and I'm thrilled with that, but I hear about bigger tanks and I start to tingle.