• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

Power Pro Braid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrel

Has anyone used the different Power Pro braided lines other than moss green. I just spooled-up the new reels with #20 moss green and noted how thin the PP is compared to Spider wire (which is on my other reels). I believe the PP will cast much farther, so I might spool up my other reels with PP, which now I ask, has anyone used the other color PP braid, like red or yellow? Sq

bschell

Has anyone used the different Power Pro braided lines other than moss green. I just spooled-up the new reels with #20 moss green and noted how thin the PP is compared to Spider wire (which is on my other reels). I believe the PP will cast much farther, so I might spool up my other reels with PP, which now I ask, has anyone used the other color PP braid, like red or yellow? Sq

Absolutely, I use it at Powell and Salt water offshore. What I like about it is when tolling 2 - 3 -4 baits you can easy see the spread and placements of your lines, and make adjustments if need be. Very cool!

TYme2Fish

I've used the yellow on my flipping rigs before, easier to see the line twitch. Just use a floro leader when fishing clear water.

Squirrel

I really like the idea of the yellow line for visability, with the flouro leader it should work fine. I will look for it at the Sportsman Expo next weelend. 1500 yds is about $90.00 to $100.oo on line. Sq

coachk

I use power pro green mostly 10lb but have found the 8lb to be the best for casting especially into Boils. I use P-line mono or floro attached as a leader. We have done the 8 or 10lb to all our rods other than bait casters and love it.

Edward Gerdemann

I have used Power Pro braid, but I prefer Berkley Fireline Crystal because I believe it casts better on spinning tackle. I don't seem to have the wind knot issues with it as I did with Power Pro. :)

Ed Gerdemann

Dungee Fishing

I have used Power Pro braid, but I prefer Berkley Fireline Crystal because I believe it casts better on spinning tackle. I don't seem to have the wind knot issues with it as I did with Power Pro. :)

Ed Gerdemann

I was wondered this as well since my decision to go to braid. I used Fireline as a kid a lot and never seemed to have any issues. I'm thinking Power Pro on the baitcasters and Fireline on the spinning.

zeefish

I tried braid on a baitcast reel. A short lived experiment. The braid buries into itself (it's slick) and caused non-stop backlashes. Back to mono.

Edward Gerdemann

I was wondered this as well since my decision to go to braid. I used Fireline as a kid a lot and never seemed to have any issues. I'm thinking Power Pro on the baitcasters and Fireline on the spinning.

I would agree that Fireline works better on spinning tackle than pure braid. Like Wayne said above I generally prefer fluorocarbon as a main line on my bait casters, however I on the bait caster I use for topwater fishing I have braid because it floats. Fluorocarbon sinks and is not the best choice for topwater fishing. I've never had any problems with pure braid on bait casters. I've not experienced braid burying itself on a bait caster, but the braids I've used are not slick. Perhaps that's the difference.

Ed Gerdemann

Dorado

I think the key is maintaining consistent tension. Braids like power pro are used all the time for saltwater applications with both spinning and conventional setups, jigging and top water/poppers. I have not had the line dig in, even when pulling on super strong fish like tuna and jacks, that truly test your equipment (and your back:)
The problem comes when the line is layed down without enough tension. The small diameter of the braid seems to require a bit more attention relative to the thicker mono/fluorocarbon....

Edward Gerdemann

I think the key is maintaining consistent tension. Braids like power pro are used all the time for saltwater applications with both spinning and conventional setups, jigging and top water/poppers. I have not had the line dig in, even when pulling on super strong fish like tuna and jacks, that truly test your equipment (and your back:)
The problem comes when the line is layed down without enough tension. The small diameter of the braid seems to require a bit more attention relative to the thicker mono/fluorocarbon....

Ditto to that! It's also important when spooling a bait caster with braid to put on some mono backing and to really cinch the drag down tight so when you put on the heavy tension the drag won't slip. You also need to wear a glove or use a handkerchief or something so the line won't burn your fingers as you're applying the tension. :)

Ed Gerdemann

TYme2Fish

I have no problems with braid on baitcasters. Half of my poles are rigged this way, although I do have some rigged with 12 lb flouro for crankbaits and 17 lb for jigs.The good thing with braid is when you do poof you just have to find the one tight spot (sometimes takes pliers) and it comes out. With flouro you can end up with a giant mess where there is no way to pick it out. A tip with braid if you do pull hard when your hung up ( rocks, trees, etc...) gently cast out to open water and pull some line. The line likes to tighten down on itself in these situations.

Ringer

I have used Power Pro 65# on my casting reels for buzzbaits and spinnerbaits for years. Fished the current spool for the last 8 years. Never get a tangle with either one. Maybe the thicker line is better for casting reels.

Dungee Fishing

For those commenting and saying they use braid on their baitcaters... Do any of you use a leader? And if so does anyone have a long enough leader where the knot goes into the reel? Wondering how/if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.